Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sausage and Mushroom Quiche


My computer and I are having a disagreement.  We have been at it since last night.  I was trying to finish this post and it was determined not to let me.  Needless to say, it won last night.  This morning, it is still out to destroy me.  I thought we were on the same team, but I guess not.  I had a photo of the quiche cut and ready to serve, but my computer doesn't want you to see it.  It doesn't want to download it from my email.  It's refusing.  So I guess for now, you will have to settle with the quiche in whole form.  What can I say, the computer has spoken.  If I can get it to work later, I will add it then.  Or maybe I will just decide that it's not that big of a deal.  Pick your battles and all that stuff, right?  Maybe this isn't a battle I should pick today.  After all, we are just really starting the day.  There might be some way more important things to chose from. I doubt it.  What could be more important than this quiche?  I find it hard to believe anything could be.
 

This is actually my favorite quiche recipe.  It's been the reining champion for a few years now and not defeated in my book.  However, when I made it, Tyler so eloquently told me that he liked the Cheese and Asparagus Quiche better.  He is not a sausage fan.  (I told you guys he is kind of weird, right?)  I still love him.  Because I pick my battles.  I also liked the other quiche but this one has a combination of ingredients that just speak to me.  You say mushrooms and cream cheese are in anything and I will eat it and love it.  So really, it's no surprise that I love this quiche.  My friend asked me for the recipe about a year ago too (or maybe it's been longer, I don't really remember).  I hope she forgives me for not giving it to her until now. 

The original recipe is from Johnsonville.  (You know, the sausage people.)  It calls for sausage patties, but I have a hard time finding Johnsonville sausage patties sometimes.  I have used the links and cut them out of the casing before cooking.  I have also used a different brand (don't tell Johnsonville next time you talk to them) of links that don't have a casing and it makes my life a bit easier.  I am sure you could also use turkey sausage and it would still be delicious.  I often throw in some sweet yellow pepper too if I have them.

Sausage and Mushroom Quiche
adapted slightly
1 recipe pie crust (single crust)
1 pkg (12 oz) sausage breakfast patties
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
4 oz cream cheese, softened
4 eggs
1/3 cup half and half
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I have omitted and doubled cheddar when necessary)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 dash nutmeg

Prepare pie crust according to directions.  Preheat oven to 400.   Roll out dough and place in pie plate or tart pan.  
Poke various holes with a fork all over bottom and sides of pie dough.  
Place sheet of parchment or wax paper inside with pie weights or dried beans on top.  (I wish I was cool enough to own pie weights, but I am not.) 
 Bake at 400 for about 12-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly.  Turn oven to 350.  Meanwhile add sausage, mushrooms, onions and peppers to skillet 
and cook until sausage is done and vegetables are tender.  
In a mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.  Add sausage mixture to half and half mixture.  Remove parchment paper with weights from pie crust carefully, the paper likes to rip sometimes.  Go slowly.  
Add filling to pie crust 
and bake for 40-50 minutes.  If crust starts to look too brown, you can cover the edges with foil.  
Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.




Printer friendly version



4 comments:

  1. wow, that is so pretty!! Your crust also looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I got a tart pan because I was jealous of how pretty yours looked for the baking group! :)

      Delete
  2. Am I that friend because I have been DYING for this recipe. This is hands down the best quiche I've EVER had. I think I might make this tonight. Tyler is CrAZy, looks like he's had too may coctail onions for his taste-buds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was you! Glad I finally got it to you! Sorry it took me so long!

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover