Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TWD: Lemon Loaf Cake

I don't make many lemon desserts.  It's not that I hate them.  If someone gives me something lemon, you can bet I will eat it, it just usually isn't on my radar.  This really is one of the reasons I love baking groups though; making things that normally wouldn't be made in my kitchen.  Having said that, I don't think this recipe is something that will be made in my kitchen again.  There wasn't anything amazing about it.  It didn't make me a lemon-lover.  It probably wouldn't be making the blog if it weren't part of the baking group.  


The loaf was not as moist as I'd like but I was prepared for that since a lot of the others bakers mentioned the need of glaze or moisture.  I made a glaze with the lemon juice (the recipe only required zest, no juice), powdered sugar and cream cheese (because cream cheese makes everything better).  Even with all the help of the glaze, I still wasn't in love with it.  It will probably sit on my counter for a day and then go in the garbage.  But it is nice to have things around that aren't tempting.  :)  

Did you say lemon loaf cake, or lemon volcano cake?  Look at this thing.  

And maybe it's just me and my lack of enthusiasm for lemon in the first place.  If I were going to do it again, I would reduce the baking temp to 325 because I felt like it got a little too brown and barely cooked to the point the toothpick came out clean (but that could also just be my oven's lack of enthusiasm for lemon).  If you like lemon and you want to give it a try, you can get the recipe at one or both of these blogs. (or buy the book)

If you'd like to check out the other TWD bakers you can see their links HERE.



15 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't love this loaf. I added the juice from a lemon--that helped. And a lemon glaze finished it. Next time I will add a bit more salt and a drop of lemon oil. I would be great served with fresh blueberries and whipped cream. Thanks for baking along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family did like it but it wasn't absolutely amazing from my point of view either, the nutella did make it amazing though, I strongly recommend you not to try it if you want to keep in shape hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. woww.. cream cheese?! i wonder how it was.. the cake was alrite.. since it said lemon loaf.. i wanted it to be more lemony.. so went for a lemon sugar drizzle!!! not too imprssed with the recipe though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great...so moist! Sorry it's not a favortie of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your volcano. My loaf came out kinda flat. But I liked the loaf; maybe because I added a ton of lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your loaf rose beautifully. I can certainly understand why this recipe didn't win you over with lemons because it was one that needed fiddling with and tasted much better after sitting awhile. The photo with the glaze is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you trying to show up my lemon cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your glaze looks heavenly. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha mine was a volcano cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda, I so agree with you...not a keeper. However, your first photo is mouthwatering :)

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/twd-baking-with-julia-lemon-loaf cake/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very moist! Sorry it is not a favorite. I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your loaf looks great especially with the glaze dripping down all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks pretty (especially with the glaze). This defintiely needed to be more in your face with the lemon though..

    ReplyDelete
  14. The glaze looks delicious! I'm sure it made the cake taste even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks good to me...i like loaves that dome nicely. i'd probably turn this into trifle or something if i had had extra kicking around.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover