Tuesday, May 7, 2013

TWD: Fresh Rhubarb Upside-Down Baby Cakes

I don't have baby cake pans, baby.  I told you that when we made Gingerbread Baby Cakes.  Last time I used ramekins.  This time I thought I'd use my jumbo muffin pan (the muffin holes are 3 inches across).  It doesn't get used all that much and I think it feels left out most days.

We had maple flavored whipped cream to go on top and the whole thing was the kind of dessert that almost makes me forget who chocolate is.  And my own name.  I love being pleasantly surprised.  But what's not to like about a cake with caramel, walnuts (I didn't have pecans) and rhubarb.  Did I lose you there?  At the rhubarb?  Yeah, I didn't add very much but I wished I added more.  It was delicious.

I halved the recipe and it was perfect for the muffin tin.  
Look at her all happy and buttered and floured.
 All good things start with caramel.  (Remember, I forgot who chocolate was for today.)  And this is where I should have been more bold with the rhubarb.  Probably twice as much.
 And then cake batter on top.  I used my 1 oz scoop and put 2 oz in cake hole.  Yes, we are making cake right now so they're cake holes.
 Bake and dump out.  I had to take a knife around the edge of each one before they really wanted to come out.
And then wonder if they are worth all the dirty dishes.  But my little saucepan was also happy.  He doesn't see much action either, normally.
 And then (almost) accidentally beat your whipping cream until it turns to butter.  Oops.  I caught it just in time.  It was probably about 1/2 cup whipping cream, 2 T sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp maple flavoring and I want to remember that for next time.  I might have just eaten some whipped cream.  Maybe.
Then, decide it was worth all the dirty dishes.
 And then forget there are even dirty dishes.
These were so good I might have to throw the rest away so I don't eat them all.  

If you'd like to try them yourself, you can buy the book or you can visit the blog of our hostess for the week at:  When it Doubt....Leave it at 350

If you'd like to see what the other TWD bakers did, you can go HERE.

10 comments:

  1. You had me at maple flavored whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sold! Next time I am using my jumbo muffin pan. Your baby cakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect looking baby cakes! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply gorgeous but I must say that we can't find rhubard over here. Maybe in the cities and more established supermarkets. That said,its a lovely outcome and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Amanda--I agree, what is chocolate and do we really need it?? This coming from a gal that has dozens of brownie recipes on her blog! I love this! I like your jumbo muffin pans--great idea. I tried to bake them in regular muffin pans--jumbo would have been so much better. One really needs so many pans.
    Loved your photos and your fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post! And I loved all your pics. Your cakes look wonderful. In fact, I now wish I still had some cake left! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely worth dirty dishes! I too was pleasantly surprised with this recipe. I was so not in the mood to bake, and this cake certainly lifted my spirits!! Good idea to use your muffin tins - I went with the large version - I'll use something smaller next time. Yes, it is good enough for a repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your idea of using the jumbo muffin pan was a good one. Your cakes look just about perfect. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours are so cute! That whipped cram sound like the perfect compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours turned out beautifully. I love the colour of your caramel.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover