Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TWD: Pizza Rustica

I know what you are thinking.  That doesn't look like pizza AT ALL.  That's exactly what the munchkins said when I took this out of the oven.  Maybe it was slightly misleading to tell them we were having pizza rustica for dinner.  Especially since they had no idea what that was and just heard pizza.  Especially since I had no idea what it was and thought it was some kind of pizza.  I did have complete faith in this recipe since I love Nick Malgieri and everything about him. (Here are four reasons to love him)  


Now that I know what it is, it reminds me less of pizza and more of a quiche, with a top, and a sweeter crust.  It's filled with 3 kinds of cheese and prosciutto. We really liked it.  The kids-not so much but let's face it, if you say it's pizza and take anything but pizza outta the oven, they aren't gonna like it.  The name really hyped it up too much for them.  I was wishing I would have put a milk/egg wash on the top crust.  I thought it could use a little color and shine.  Next time.

I might have eaten some of this dough even though there were raw eggs in it.  I might have thought it tasted like sugar cookie dough.  I might have kept eating it.
 
I didn't have any fresh parsley so I threw in a couple tablespoons of chopped green onions.  It was just asking for it, I thought.  And then I saw some mushrooms in the fridge and had to show some restraint.  I wanted to not change it too much the first time.  But I think mushrooms would have been delicious. (duh)
 I was starting to wonder if I actually had a 9 inch pie plate. (it was 9 inches, I have proof) The filling was about an inch and a half below the rim so I trimmed the dough to be about a half inch above it.
 And threw the lattice on top.  The recipe didn't specify to weave it and so I didn't.  I wish I had one of those cool cutters to make my edges all pretty though. (I need one of these.)
Don't you feel like it needs some shiny color?  Oh and I forgot to mix the pepper into the filling before spreading it into the crust.  So there it is...
I told you I had proof it was 9 inches.  See the 9 down there.

Our hosts this week were Emily from Capitol Region Dining and Raelynn of The Place They Call Home.
If you'd like the recipe you can buy the book or visit one or both of their blogs.
And if you'd like to check out some of the other TWD bakers you can go HERE

In my opinion, it was just one more reason to love Nick (yeah, we are on a first-name-basis). 


18 comments:

  1. Your pizza rustica looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it!! The layers of the dough look perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    Your pie looks delish!

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/twd-baking-with-julia-pizza-rustica/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lattice work is a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! I always use an egg wash on pie crust, made parts of it shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. I may have eaten some of the dough, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! My little one didn't like it either. Which just meant I had to eat his leftovers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pizza rustica looks gorgeous! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, I had to pull back from adding other fillings since I didnt want to change it too much at first, but now I'm totally going to try it with a bunch of different fillings! :)

    Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you.. a milk wash does make a difference.. it gave mine a golden-brownish look!! green onion... that would have been good!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lattice top is nicely uniform. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't care for parsley, so i used green onions in mine too :) Yours came out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks lovely & I totally agree that an egg wash would have been a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours looks delicious! I think green onions sound great, I may have to give that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Smart green onion substitution :) I think yours is one of the prettiest I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pictures are great and your tart (I can't call it a pizza!) is soooooo neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nicely done! I know you won't believe this, but I'd never heard of Nick before! I loved working with this pastry.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover