Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Bake 52: Chocolate Blackout Cake


 I promise this is the last cake I will post about this week. ;) 


If you like chocolate, this cake is for you.  Chocolate cake with chocolate pudding between the layers and crumbled chocolate cake on the outside.  When I first saw the picture in the book, I was sure those crumbles were Oreos.  I think that would be delicious, but it's actually cake.  All in all this was pretty easy to make and it wasn't so bad to assemble.  I think the hardest part was waiting for everything to cool properly.  It's not a cake than can be baked and assembled in an hour, it probably takes about 5-6 from start to finish and most of that is cooling time.

The original recipe calls for coffee but we don't have that on hand ever.  I substituted water with pureed strawberries and then the strawberry theme took hold.  It's easy to see why everything snowballed into strawberry, it's my favorite fruit and who doesn't love chocolate and strawberries?  Then it started to remind me of the flavors in the crepes we make and then I had to have a whipped cream and cream cheese topping.  I hadn't had my pastry tips out for a while (okay, fine, I had them out this weekend for the carrot cupcakes!) and I thought I would try to make this thing look presentable.  I halved the recipe (what else is new) and made it in smaller pans (one being a saucepan and another pan close to the same size about 5 or 6 inches) because we've already had cake this week.

 My layers of pudding don't look as good as those in the book!  But guess what, I ate it anyway.  Ghastly.

 Although the cake was a different texture than I am used to, you can't go wrong with chocolate, strawberries, cream cheese and whipped cream.  But that's just me.
 Our hostess this week was Courtney, If you'd like the recipe you can find it on her blog HERE.


10 comments:

  1. OMG! your cake looks so chocolatey and super moist. I can imagine this must taste heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my your cake is gorgeous! Just when I thought that chocolate cake couldn't get any better, I see your picture! Those additions would be wonderful with all of that chocolate! I guess I will have to make it again and try it that way :) How was adding the strawberry in the recipe, could you taste it very much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, your frosting is so shiny, gooey and delicious looking! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're killing me here, I WANT SOME and I want it NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought mine looked good until I saw yours. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of hate you for turning this monster out so beautifully. I pretty much butchered it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SERIOUSLY?! So pretty and I love the way the smaller size looks. I want to attack it with a fork (as if I didn't eat enough of my own already!)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Lovely! Really. LOVE the strawberry idea... and the decorating, brilliant! You're putting us all to shame! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks delicious! And I love the way you decorated it and made your theme strawberries.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover