Friday, April 20, 2012

Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

I originally got this chocolate chip cookie recipe from my sister-in-law, Jen and I have been a believer ever since.  About once a year, my friend Cheri emails me and asks for the recipe (sans the caramel).    It would make sense if I had gotten it on the blog sooner, just for that reason.
When we were talking about what we were baking for Easter, she pointed me in the direction of her carrot cake recipe (have you tried it yet?) and she said she was making cookies.  After Easter she reported that she had taken the chocolate chip cookie recipe and turned it into something even more magnificent.  What makes a chocolate chip cookie even better, you ask?  Well, it's a Rolo.  I have to admit that I had forgotten how good just a Rolo is.  I am glad I bought an extra bag because the kids and I made quick work of the extras.  I finally had to count out how many I needed for the cookies and hide them.  

I volunteered to bring 3 dozen cookies to a church gathering and thought it would be the perfect time to try Cheri's recommendation.  Hadlee was helping me make them and had a plan:  "Okay mom so don't tell anyone there is caramel inside the cookies.  They will think they are just regular chocolate chip cookies until they bite into it and then they will be like, 'Oh my goodness, is there caramel in these?'  And you can be like, 'Yesiree there is!'  So that's what we did.  Well, all except the Yesiree part.  I mean, let's face it, if you say that to certain people they will never take you seriously again.  I did say it to a couple people though.  They might hate me now.  If I hadn't brought these cookies.  I only heard great things.  Except for that one kid who didn't like caramel.  But I think he's crazy.  Just for the record.

This might work with any chocolate chip cookie recipe but this is the one I have tried and it worked.  You can try other recipes, or pre-made dough at your own risk.  I feel like the most important part of any cookie making is DON'T OVER BAKE!!!  When they sit on the cookie sheet for minute or two after you take them out, they are still baking and clear up until they are cool.  Personally I would rather have a slightly underdone cookie than a slightly over done one.  But that's just me and I am not scared of raw eggs.  (Could I be any tougher?  Probably not.)  This recipe will probably sustain 2 bags of rolos depending on how big you make the cookies.  I used about half the dough and 42 (almost a bag) Rolos.  The other half of the dough is in the freezer, taunting me.  Unless you want to make cookies for an army or want to freeze half the dough, I would half this recipe.

Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
5 1/2 cups flour
3 cups mini chocolate chips (or to your liking)
2 bags Rolos.

Preheat oven to 350.  With a mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  
Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.  
Add dry ingredients and combine until mixed.  
Stir in chocolate chips.  
Wrap 1-2 tablespoons of dough around each Rolo 
and roll into a ball.  
Bake on greased or parchment lined baking sheets for 8-10 minutes or until small cracks start to appear on the surface of the cookies.  See the cracks?  I probably could have taken these out a bit sooner.  I set the timer for 9 minutes in my oven but 8 might have been great.  Set the timer for 8 and check them.
Remove and cool on sheet for 1-2 minutes and then remove to wire rack or cool pan.  
You can also make these cookies without the Rolos and they are delicious!  I am not sure why you would do that though.  I am going to start making everything with Rolos from now on.

P.S.  Have you guys seen the mini Rolos?  They would be GREAT for this since you don't have to unwrap them!  The cookies would be smaller but sometimes that might be better. :) 


Source:  Jen and Cheri



Have you tried this chocolate chip cookie yet?  It's also delicious!


11 comments:

  1. I've never tried rolos but I can see why you needed to hide them away!! These cookies look perfect too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mireia! They must no have Rolos in Spain? :)

      Delete
  2. would it have killed you to type, "I originally got this chocolate chip cookie recipe from my HOT sister-in-law, Jen"? I mean, come on, did you love the recipe or not?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to update the post to reflect your recommendation! :)

      Delete
  3. Ok, these look amazing! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good, let me know if you try them!

      Delete
    2. Oahu must hate me! I couldn't for the life of me find a bag of rolos! Anyway, I made the cookies! Amazing!! Usually mine turn out flat, but these were beyond perfect! I am a huge fan of under cooked cookies. I did these at just under 8 min and these turned out just right! You are amazing Amanda! Thank you...but also I have say your wonderful recipes are responsible for me gaining weight! Haha!

      Delete
    3. Yay!! I am so glad you tried them and liked them. If I had to chose between Rolos and Oahu, I would totally pick Oahu! And I think you could stand to gain a couple pounds. ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh. My. Gosh. How decadent of a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I just saw a recipe for caramel stuffed snickerdoodles, but chocolate sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! How delicious does this cookie look! xo

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover