Monday, April 16, 2012

Mushroom-Artichoke Soup

When Tyler and I were newlyweds, I would sign up for cookbook of the month clubs.  I wanted the 8 free cookbooks (or whatever)!  It always ended up being a pain because I would forget to cancel my shipment for the month but it's one of the reasons I have so many cookbooks. That and sometimes I just can't resist, I NEED a cookbook.  
In the grocery store, I skip over the Snooki-clad covers to ogle at the food magazines.  And most of the time, I refrain from buying one or eight.  I really do a pretty good job.  If you only knew the internal battle that rages inside my head, with one side desperately trying to justify buying the whole lot of food magazines, you would understand why I often leave so proud of myself.  About a week ago, I wasn't so lucky.  I saw this magazine and just couldn't say no.
Not even possible.  

Even with these cookies on the front (which I am so making at some point) I zeroed in on this soup.  I love mushrooms and artichokes but I often forget artichokes exist.  I also love every other ingredient in this recipe (except the cooked carrots, but I can deal) and the look of it was so lovely. It seems like soup season is quickly nearing an end here and I wanted to make it before we were having to blast the air conditioner with 100 degree temperatures outside.  Last week a few days were in the 80s already but luckily the past few days have been rainy and cool.  Perfect for soup.   

The rest of the family wasn't as keen on the soup as I was, but I think it's because they aren't huge fans of mushrooms or artichokes, bad luck.  If you enjoy them though, you should give this a try, it's delicious.

Mushroom-Artichoke Soup
8 oz mushrooms (the recipe called for cremini, but I used regular), sliced or quartered
8 oz baby bella mushrooms (the recipe called for shiitake), sliced or quartered
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 medium carrots, sliced
3 T flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp pepper
dash red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2-14 oz cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 cup oil packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup half and half or light cream
Green onions, sliced or cut into thin strips

In a 5 1/2 or 6 quart heavy pot, cook onions and carrots in butter over medium heat until onions are translucent.  
Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in flour, salt, garlic powder, marjoram, pepper and crushed red pepper.  
Add broth all at once.  Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.  Stir in artichokes, dried tomatoes and bay leaf.  
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Stir in half and half and heat through.  Discard bay leaf.  If desired, garnish with green onions.  

Serves about 10.  We made baguettes with this french bread recipe and served it with the soup.  So good.




printer friendly version

Adapted from:  Better Homes and Gardens Magazine



5 comments:

  1. I'm the same hahaha I have to control myself. Luckily I usually use Amazon so I just put everything into my wish list and now and then end up buying one but it's so hard to resist! If only I wasn't studying and had my own money!!!

    The magazine looks great, look forward to hearing the recipe of the cookies, and I think I would have enjoyed that soup too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that battle well. It doesn't work well for me on Amazon though.
    The soup sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I usually use Ina Garten's cream of wild mushroom soup as my staple, but this recipe might edge that out. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making this!!!!
    Looks and sounds delicious!! thank you.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made your soup haven't added the half and half yet but just had a small cup and it may be one of the best soup I've ever had, Not to mention that I've made,

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover