Monday, April 30, 2012

Breadsticks (Easy and Delicious!)

Very often, driving in our car is hazardous.  My kids (I will blame them) will sometimes see a restaurant or a place they want to eat and it makes them crave something they won't be having.  Luckily this never happens to me.  I never crave anything I can't have. (that was sarcastic)  This happened to Calvin the other day.  

We were on our way home to eat and he was super hungry and seeing a million things he wanted right.that.second.  Then we drove by the Olive Garden and he instantly forgot about any other craving he might have ever had in his life and zeroed in on "The Garden" and "long bread" and "noodles with sauce."  I knew we weren't eating there but my heart breaks a little when I can't give him what he wants.

Last night I decided to semi-fulfill his requests.  I wasn't expecting these breadsticks to be the equivalent of Olive Garden, I was just looking for something quick and easy that would make him happy, but they ended up resembling them quite a bit.  Except they were better, of course.  They were sooo easy and done in under an hour.  The kids have already requested them again tonight and they are simple enough, I just might oblige.

Breadsticks
ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees or the temp of a hot tub) plus 1-2 T more if needed
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 pkg)
1/4 cup oil
3 cups bread flour
3 T brown sugar
1 tsp salt

After baking:
1-2 T butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder (mine had parsley in it too)

Directions:
Whisk yeast, water and sugar together in a measuring cup and let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.  Meanwhile, add flour and salt to bowl of mixer with the dough hook attached.  Turn mixer on to combine (about 30 seconds).  Once yeast is dissolved, turn mixer on low and add yeast/water mixture and oil.  Mix until dough is comes together and is smooth (I added a couple tablespoons of water here because mine seemed dry).  Knead with mixer on med-low for about 2 minutes.  Roll out into a 10x12 rectangle (yes, I used my ruler) and cut into strips so you have 12 pieces that are 10 inches long.  You can either twist them or lay them flat on a greased baking sheet.  
Preheat oven to 375, let breadsticks raise for at least 20 minutes (I did 30 and I thought it was perfect and I didn't worry about covering them).  Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.  Remove and brush with butter and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.  (you could also use Parmesan cheese!)  Enjoy, they are so delicious!  Makes 12 breadsticks


I think these would also be great to make and bake for about 10 minutes, then freeze and be able to pull them out and bake them for 10 minutes or so when you are ready to use.  I will do it sometime.




Source:  Adapted from this recipe at Food.com


5 comments:

  1. I'm bookmarking this, looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part of me that wants to look awesome in my swimsuit was kind-of hoping these would not be good. Alas, that was not the case. It looks like another shorts-over-the-swimsuit summer for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these tonight. Mine didn't tun out nearly as beautiful as yours, but they were so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you guys liked them! We have made them quite a few times since this too. We love them!

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover