Tuesday, December 18, 2012

TWD: Finnish Pullah

I haven't heard of this particular bread before.  It's essentially a yeasted sweet bread.  It's supposed to be flavored with Cardamom but I didn't have any and wasn't sure it was a flavor I would like so I took the advice of a fellow baker and subbed cinnamon and nutmeg (1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg) for the cardamom.  It was delicious.  I left off the almonds and used turbinado sugar instead of peal sugar.  Everyone loved it. 
The dough was easy to work with and the braiding wasn't as big a deal as you would think  I am going to try it again sometime with the cardamom and see how that goes.  It's super festive and I am sure anyone would love to share it with you or receive it as a gift. :)
You can get the recipe by buying the book or visiting Erin's blog for the recipe.  She was our host for the week.
If you'd like to see what the other TWD bakers did this week, you can see their links HERE.

6 comments:

  1. This was a great bread - and changing out spices adds a whole different dimension.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath looks wonderful! Great job. I bet is was good with cinnamon and nutmeg too.
    I used crushed cadamom seeds. Cardamom was totally new to me and I was hesitant, but thought I should try it. As soon as I started crushing the seeds, I was in love. The aroma was amazing. And the taste in the bread was great. It was a subtle sweetness. Totally recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours looks so pretty! I like how your bow turned out. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wreath! You can't go wrong with cinnamon and nutmeg, and it seems a lot of bakers went that route. ~Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely with cardamom, but as Cathleen said, you can't go wrong with cinnamon and nutmeg! Nice job on the wreath.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover