Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TWD: Apple-Berry Galette

 Well, I am alive.  I am not organized.  I am still semi-living-out-of-boxes.  The kitchen is put together, of course.  That was first, but I can't say the same about the other 3 rooms in the house.  (5 if you count the bathrooms which I probably should since they also need to be taken care of.) This is our 10th move since Tyler and I got married 13 years ago and I can't say I hate it any less than the first move.  I will feel like I have arrived in this life when I can pay someone to pack and move all my crap for me.  I would say we are here to stay except I know we will be moving in 3 years when Tyler is done with school so at least one more move to come.


This was my first experience with my new oven (well it's not new, it came with the place, but it's new to me) and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to all of our time together in the future.  I love her already and I am currently thinking of names for her.  Actually it was probably love at first sight for me.  I am not sure how she feels about me yet but time will tell.  It has been ridiculously hot the past couple days and I thought about taking the baking outside to the grill like Cher but then I remembered I don't have a grill yet.  But it's something I will be trying in the future.  If I dared go outside long enough to cook anything, 107 might just kill me.  Maybe I could alternate between cooking and running through the sprinkler to cool off.

Anyhoo, I liked this.  I am not sure if I loved the cornmeal in the crust or not but while I was deciding, I ate a whole piece.  
Here's what I did:
I cut the butter into cubes (1/4 inch) for the crust and froze it for 10 minutes then made the crust dough with the food processor which resulted in quite a few butter chunks in the end product and a run-on sentence.
Refrigerated for 2 hours
rolled out the dough on parchment paper with flour and transferred the parchment to a baking sheet (thanks to that tip from this baker, it was super easy.)  Then assembled the galette on the baking sheet.
Since we were cooking the fruit I figured I could easily get away with frozen berries.
I used 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup raspberries and 1/2 granny smith apple (peeled, cored and chopped)
I pureed the strawberries because I can't get over the texture of cooked strawberry chunks
I added a T of flour and 1 T sugar to the fruit mixture
And of course I served mine with ice cream on top.
I feel like I have made a lot of pie lately.  Let's face it, this is a pie.  Even if you throw in some cornmeal and insist on cooking it without a pie plate, it's still a pie.  It's fun to make things new ways though, and I liked doing something new.

If you'd like the recipe you can buy the book or get it a the blog of one our hosts for the week:
or

If you'd like to see what the other bakers did this week you can go HERE.

9 comments:

  1. I love the ice cream on top. I think that's just what mine needed. I hope you get unpacked soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very pretty pie and I love that the crust is sturdy enough to eat out of hand, without being tough. Good call eating it with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So vibrant and tasty looking - and of course, ice cream was mandatory.
    Moving is not fun - but it sounds like you have the most important room taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used ice cream. I like the idea of using an apple along with the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very tasty and delicious looking pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, Apples...yes, baking apples in summer is doable. I feel for you. Moving can be tough, even if one is organized. Ice cream always takes a baked dessert to the top...bring on the fork, i say! :D

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/twd-baking-with-julia-strawberry-galette/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the last picture... I could bite into my screen!
    What a delicious galette!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover