Monday, January 14, 2013

Pico Sliders

I don't know about you, but when I am trying to eat healthier, I am sometimes have to trick myself.  Like eating 2 sliders makes me think I am eating more than 1 hamburger.  I know, I am an idiot.  At least the part of me that believes it's different is an idiot anyway.  I guess if it results in eating cute food like this, then idiot it is.  I don't care.  These are pretty healthy.  We used 95% lean beef, reduced fat provolone cheese and the pico de gallo with avocado.  Not to mention the quick wheat slider buns.  They taste delicious and make you feel good about eating a burger.  And Tyler was happy because he is always complaining that we don't eat enough red meat. :)


Pico Sliders
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 slices reduced fat provolone, cut into 4 slices each to make 8 pieces
For the pico del gallo:
1 tomato, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1/8 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp salt to taste
juice of 1/2 -1 lime to taste
1 recipe wheat slider buns or buns of your choice. (Extra buns can be frozen for later use or 1/2 or 1/3 of the recipe can be made.

Mix ingredients for pico de gallo, set aside.  Combine ground beef, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  Separate beef mixture into 8 pieces, 2 oz each.  Flatten each piece into a round patty about 2.5-3 inches in diameter.  Cook over med-high heat 5-7 minutes on each side until done.  Add a piece of cheese to each patty and cover pan to melt.  Place patty on a bun and cover with a couple tablespoons of pico de gallo.

Makes 8 sliders.

1 comment:

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover