Friday, March 9, 2012

Chex Cake Batter Buddies

My cute husband is addicted to Pinterest.  I think it's funny because because I have yet to master my addiction.  A little more work on my part and I am sure I will be good and hooked, I just need to put in the effort.  And I haven't really done it yet.  Don't worry, I did the same thing with Diet Coke.  It just took a little persistence and hard work and now I can't live without the stuff.  And now, I am trying to cut back....but that's another story.  Back to Tyler and Pinterest.  That guy puts up, so often, with my obsessive compulsive disorder in the kitchen that when he requests something made, I like to oblige.  (Even though we often have completely opposite taste in foods.)  So when he pulled this up on Pinterest and said this was what he wanted, I was happy to make it.  
Even though the thought of eating raw cake mix made me gag a bit, I have to stick by this man through thick and thin.  Raw and cooked, ya know.  And raw cake mix or not, I like to make him things he likes.  Even thought I didn't enjoy the thought of them, I found myself eating a few and they were pretty good.  I know everyone reading this blog doesn't necessarily share all of my preferences when it comes to food, so I thought maybe one or two of you might like this as much as Tyler did.  He really did LOVE it (and so did my kids!).  We have made it twice so far and I am sure we'll be making it a million more times in the future.

The original recipe calls for yellow cake mix, the adapted recipe calls for funfetti cake mix, so I am sure you could use either.  The first time we made it the 'fetti' part of the cake mix didn't stick as well as I would have liked.  They just kind of floated to the bottom of the bowl.  The second time we tried it a little differently to get the confetti to stick more and it did, but I still don't know if it's enough to warrant that kind of cake mix.   I think it actually might work best to use a yellow or white cake mix and sprinkles.  Add the sprinkles first so it sticks to the white chocolate, then add the cake mix and powdered sugar.  But that's something to try in the future.  Really if it was up to me, there wouldn't be any sprinkles involved because I think they are gross. The things I do for love, I tell ya.


Chex Cake Batter Buddies
Adapted from: So Very Blessed and Six Sisters Stuff
5 cups chex cereal (we used rice, any would work)
10 oz vanilla almond bark or white chocolate chips
1 tsp canola oil (don't use butter)
1 cup cake mix
1 cup powdered sugar

Measure cereal into a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, melt almond bark or white chocolate with oil according to package directions.  We put it in the microwave for 1 minute on 50 percent and then stirred and repeated that until it was completely melted.  Pour over cereal 
and stir to coat.  
Add cake mix and toss to coat and then add powdered sugar.  If you add the cake mix first and coat, the confetti will stick better.  If you aren't using funfetti, you can just add the cake mix and powdered sugar at once.  Stir to coat and serve.

Have a great weekend!



Printer friendly version



Would you rather have chocolate involved?  Check out these Nutella Muddy Buddies.




5 comments:

  1. I just saw these on Pinterest the other day too and was planning on trying them. I have no issues with raw cake mix so I think I might really like these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Cake batter in the mix? Amazing way to jazz up the sweet Chex mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of that but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it's good to build up your addictions. ;) Sounds like a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. This so sounds like Tyler. And it so looks like it would be a great snack to have around the table while playing games into the wee hours of the night with root beer floats.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover