Friday, March 2, 2012

Dessert Pizza

{Some photos updated 4/26/2013}
Okay, this recipe is coming with a warning:  If you are trying to be "good" eating-wise, don't make this.  If you think you can make it and just eat one piece, I dare you.  (Tyler is a dessert snob and even he couldn't just eat one piece)

A month or so ago, my brother, Davey, called and asked if I had a recipe for dessert pizza.  Imagine my embarrassment when I had to say no!  I feel like I do a lot of cooking, but I am still, very often, finding myself noticing things I have never made before.  But something like dessert pizza?  Shouldn't that have been like the first thing I ever made?  It feels like it should have been.  I really don't know what the purpose of life has been up until this point.  Life has been meaningless without this pizza.  Have I mentioned that biggest loser competition I'm in?   Yeah, this pizza single handedly ruined my chances.  Okay, it wasn't single handedly, there have been plenty of other temptations (like Cadbury and all it's eggs, to name one) but this was a big participant.  Have I scared you away yet?  If you are still around, you should also know that the ingredients for this pizza are probably already in your kitchen (or easy to find) and is pretty darn easy to make.  If you ask me, that's a dangerous combination.  And if you still haven't been scared away....I've done all I can, I can't be held responsible for your demise.   
But I like that you don't scare easily.  
(Neither do I since I have made it twice.  But the last time was Monday and I am trying to stay strong, at least for a few weeks.  Soon I might need a support group.)

We had a pizza night and had pizzas of all kinds, including dessert pizza.  I would do that again.  I would also just make this by itself, maybe for dinner. ;)  At least these nights save us from going to Papa John's every once in a while.  Right?  This is just a little more delicious than a Cinnapie. ;)

Dessert Pizza for Davey :)
Crust
1 1/4 cup flour (bread or all purpose)
1/2 cup hot water (105-115)
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 T canola oil (plus more for the pan)

Topping 
5 T (salted) butter (cold)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup oats
1 tsp cinnamon

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3  T milk
3/4 tsp vanilla

For crust:  Stir yeast into water and let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.  In a separate bowl, add flour, salt and sugar.  Add oil to yeast mixture.  Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine.  Using a spatula, make sure there aren't any wet areas of flour.  If there are, add water, a tsp at a time.   
Cover and let rest until double in size (I have just let it rest for about 30 minutes and then continued and it's worked fine!)  After rest, brush a baking sheet or parchment paper with canola oil.  Place dough in the center of sheet and use greased fingers to spread and shape into a 10-12 inch circle.   
Let the dough sit while preheating oven and preparing toppings.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees and move oven rack to lower third of the oven.  In a food processor, combine topping ingredients.  

(if you don't have a food processor, you can melt the butter and combine ingredients.)  Once oven is preheated, drop topping evenly onto crust 
and bake for 10-15 minutes.  While pizza is baking, combine glaze ingredients.  Add extra milk if needed to make it thick but pourable.  When pizza is done, Topping will look dry and crust should be golden.  Remove from oven and immediately slice into pieces.  
Immediately drizzle glaze over pizza.  
Let cool 20-30 minutes before serving.  (The topping is pretty hot right out of the oven.)  And you'll probably need a spatula to serve it.
And don't say I didn't warn you!   Have a great weekend!


Source:  Crust:  Adapted from THIS recipe, toppings:  girlplusfood originals
 Printer friendly version

12 comments:

  1. Ah, dessert pizza. I never knew the concept existed until I went to my first Pizza Inn buffet when I was 10 years old. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy :) I love to have pizza themed nights, started with an appitizer pizza, then all sorts of pizza THEN dessert pizza! I have not made one like this before! Cannot wait to try it out next time! Question though, do you think that apples can be added to the oatmeal crumble or sprinkled on top?? That would make it REALLY similar to the dessert pizza that can be found at Pizza Hut! (better cause it is made IN your home!!) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would totally work. You could just throw the apple (probably peeled) in the food processor with the rest of the stuff. You might want to add a tablespoon or 2 of flour to absorb some of the liquid from the apples....and maybe some baking soda (1/2 tsp). I would love to hear how it works if you try it because I also love those dessert pizzas at Pizza Hut. {This one is probably more like the Cinnapie at Pappa John's.}

      Delete
    2. So I made the comment from above, wondering about adding apples. I did and it was SO SO incredibly great! :) LOVED it! I added 1 peeled, chopped apple to the oatmeal mix ~ once I had it all mixed up good ~ I also added 1/4-1/3 c. flour. My family LOVED it. Thanks for a great recipe. JUST like Pizza Hut's, well, wait, BETTER then Pizza Hut's!

      Delete
    3. I am so going to try that next time. I love pizza hut dessert pizza too so I am sure I would love it! Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete
  3. Miss you, AmAnda. Why can't we be neighbors anymore? I READ every one of your posts and I love them all. You kill me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much I wish you guys lived next door to us, or probably more like the other way around! We miss you guys too, thanks for reading the blog. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh.MY.GOSH. What the...get in my BELLY!!!!! Amazing! Cinnamon roll anything is my number one food weakness. I am definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try this now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely, sinfully wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is crazy good! It's just like one we can get a pizza joint here. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover