Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TWD: Irish Soda Bread


This will not be my last time making this bread.  I can already think of adventures I would like to embark upon with this bread.  A couple weeks ago I saw this post on Just a Taste.  I knew we were making Irish Soda Bread for our group and I happen to have some cilantro pesto left over from these paninis.  It seemed like the stars were aligning.  


I didn't have buttermilk so I used sour milk (about 1/4 cup less) and the result was pleasing.  The bread was good by itself with some butter and the paninis were delicious (with just the pesto and Monterrey jack cheese.).  The bread itself reminds me of biscuits and I do love biscuits.   

I wanted to try the recipe with buttermilk to see if there was a significant difference.  I didn't really see one.  The flavor might have been slightly more pronounced using buttermilk instead of sour milk, but other than that the substitution seemed to work very well.  You can also add raisins or dried fruit to the bread if you like that kind of thing.  

If you are ever in need of a simple and quick bread to go with dinner or to dunk into some soup or just eat with butter, you really should try this!  It might have changed my life.






Our hosts this week were Cathy of My Culinary Mission and Carla of Chocolate Moosey.  If you would like the recipe you can visit either or both of their blogs.  (or you can buy the book!) :)

If you want to see how the other TWD bakers fared, you can check our their links HERE.

13 comments:

  1. Your looks amazing! I loved the bread too, will be making it again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks great! And soda bread paninis sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your paninis look heavenly! I love how the bread looks so buttery and crisp. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy...the panini is rocking!

    ~Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/twd-baking-with-julia-irish-soda-bread

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, the bread looks great and that panini is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I might have to make another loaf, just to try that panini!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bread looks wonderful and the panini are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, you had me at panini. I'm with you--I will be baking this again and again with all sorts of flavor combos. I'm off to find a breakfast panini. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely.
    This was dubbed a "big bicuit" by my peeps

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh your paninis look delish!! :)

    Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover