Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Table Talk: Stir-Fried Chicken and Green Beans with Spicy Orange Sauce

The sun goes down here now at like 4:30.  Yeah, 4-stupid-30.  I hate it more than words can say.  It seems like it's midnight because it's been dark for hours when really, it's only 8 o'clock.  It's a crazy world.  And when you're trying to take photos for your blog, you have to have dinner ready at an insane time that can only be construed as Linner or Dunch, it gets in the way.  Where's the light???  Anyway, long story short, please excuse the above photo.  It's Mother Nature's fault.  Or the people who decide on Daylight Savings.  Or Tyler's for messing with my plans to be earlier with dinner.  Or the kids' for having to run them around everywhere last night.  Good thing I love them.  Well, Tyler and the kids.  Mother Nature and the Daylight Savings people?  Eh, not so much love there.  

Speaking of not so much love, that's how I felt about this stir fry.  As I've mentioned, last night didn't run as smoothly as one would hope so maybe my opinion is skewed.  While everything else was hectic, this dish did come together pretty easily.  The chicken ended up marinating for more than the hour in the recipe because my plan went awry so maybe that also had something to do with it.

What I liked:  I loved the chicken to vegetable ratio, there seemed to be quite a few green beans and I like the idea of that since I've been trying to be more conscious about the size of vegetable portion we are eating.  I liked how fast it came together and how easy it was.  Now the dislike:  There was a little something 'off' with the orange sauce.  Or maybe it was the orange sauce and the marinade together?  Like a weird kind of after taste?  It seemed a little too vinegary so I added some extra sugar to try and counteract that.  It did help, but I still wasn't wowed.  Or even pleased enough to make this version again.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching where this blog is concerned and I've decided (tentatively) on a few things.  One of them is that I want to make sure I'm only posting LOVED recipes.  Recipes I would make again and do make again regularly.  Since I didn't really feel this way about this one, I'm just going to give you a link to the recipe so you can try it for yourself if you'd like.  Just because we didn't love it doesn't mean you won't!  I'm not saying I'd never make this again.  I might make it again with some tweaks, and if I do that and love it, I will update or re-post with what worked for me.  Until then, this is going in the 'to tweak' pile. :)

Get the recipe HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Well, even if you say the light wasn't good and the recipe wasn't thaat good it still looks delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover