Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bake 52: Black and White Cookies


These cookies are super soft and cakey with a *hint of lemon and slathered with vanilla and chocolate frosting.  I say *hint of lemon because I think even a *hint might be too much for me.  If you are a lemon-lover, you will probably commit to loving these cookies for your lifetime.  I would probably omit the lemon next time but that is just because I am who I am.  And if we are being honest, I might forget the vanilla frosting altogether.  It makes a lovely presentation but why eat vanilla when you can have chocolate?  (That's pretty much my motto for life anyway.)  I can't convey how much we all liked the texture of these cookies, even if some of us (mainly me) didn't love the lemon.  They are definitely worth making and tweaking to be just what you would like.  I wonder if a *hint of orange might be better than lemon...


I didn't have unsweetened chocolate so I used semi-sweet.  I think the unsweetened or maybe bittersweet is probably a necessity.  I would have liked mine more chocolatey and if I had followed the directions, I am sure they would have been.

I, personally thought these cookies were really lemony. It could be because I am sensitive to lemon or possibly because the lemon extract I found in my mother-in-law’s cupboard has been around since the Kennedy assassination. Either one. I also had to add a bit more water than the recipe stated to both my vanilla and chocolate frosting to make it work.
They were super fun to decorate and try to make perfect like the book.  Even being far from perfect, they are still eye-catching and different.
Janet was our host for the week and chose these cookies.   If you would like to try your hand at these beauties, visit her blog for the recipe HERE.

P.S.  My trip is coming to a close so I should be back to regular blogging next week.  I already have some recipes ready to share.  I hope someone out there is still reading. ;)


6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I agree with you about leaving out the lemon and I'm all about chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish. Beautiful pictures. I agree-- orange might have gone over better with my tastebuds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your cookies look perfect! So pretty. I thought the chocolate side was better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, nice job on these cookies...and photos are nice...like the cross-section...

    ~Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure look delicious and moist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how soft black & white cookies are. These look great!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover