Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Honey-Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad


Look at this!  Yesterday I promised a blog post on Facebook and here it is!  (I was sharing tips for storing cilantro)  I am not sure what my problem is, but I am all about the salad and veggies lately.  ??  Yeah, I don't know if my body knows it's Fall and I am supposed to be craving all things apple, cinnamon, pumpkin and cranberry.  I will try to break it to myself.  We've had this twice now because I bought some shrimp on sale. When shrimp is on sale, I am there.  I wish crab was on sale more often.....Anyway, we really liked this salad, like enough to have it twice in 2 weeks, so I thought I'd share.  It's fresh and pretty and healthy and delicious.  Are there anymore positive words I can use?  Oh yeah, it's fast too.  Enjoy!  And now that my internet is fixed, (WHOOOOHOOOO!!) I will, hopefully, be around more often!


 Honey-Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
ingredients:
1 T canola oil
1 lb cooked shrimp,* thawed and patted dry
1 avocado, chopped
4 cups lettuce of your choice**


Pico de Gallo:
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion (tamed if necessary by soaking in ice water for 10 minutes then draining)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
Juice 1/2 lime (abt 1 1/2 T)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Honey-Lime Sauce:
Juice 1/2 lime (abt 1 1/2 T)
1 T honey
1 T canola oil
1/4 tsp chili powder
dash cumin
dash garlic powder
dash onion powder

Directions:
Combine pico de gallo ingredients:  tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper, stir and set aside. Whisk honey-lime sauce ingredients:  juice 1/2 lime, honey, canola oil, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder and set aside.  Heat 1 T oil in skillet over high heat.  Once oil starts to smoke, add shrimp and cook about 1 minute, until heated through.  Add honey-lime sauce and cook 1 more minute.  To serve, to each plate add:  1 cup lettuce, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 pico de gallo and 1/4 of the shrimp and sauce mixture.  Serves 4 (main dish servings)
 *I've used the frozen salad shrimp and the frozen de-veined, shell removed, tail on shrimp.  I am sure any shrimp you use will work.  If you use uncooked shrimp, just cook more like 2-3 minutes before adding the sauce.  Just do yourself a favor and make sure it's at least de-veined.  
**We've used plain 'ol ice burg lettuce and spring mix.  Both have been great.  Any lettuce will work well, I think.

Source:  A Girl + Food Original

1 comment:

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover