Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs

Growing up, I thought the yolks of hard-boiled eggs were supposed to be green.  At least a little around the edges.  I am not sure when I realized that green yolks meant they were over-cooked but once I realized that, I wanted to figure out how to make the perfect hard-boiled eggs.  Why?  Because I'm a weirdo and these are the kind of things I spend my time worrying about.


Where else would I turn except the Queen of Perfection, Martha Stewart?  It was before you could google everything under the sun so I turned to my cookbooks.  In this cookbook she has a tip on making the perfect hard-boiled eggs and it changed my life.  Maybe it will change yours or maybe you are light-years ahead of me.  

I'm also going to try baking them sometime.  Have you tried that?  I've seen it around, but when I go to make them, I always chicken out and do what I know.  What if they turn out green?!  gasp!

This is more just a method than a recipe so I just took some pictures of the step-by-step to make it less boring.


Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs

Throw eggs in a saucepan (fine, set them gently in a saucepan) and then cover with cold water.  Place saucepan over high heat until water starts to boil.
 Set your timer for 1 minute and continue to boil.  (You want there to be bubbles rising all around the pan before you set your timer.)
 When your timer goes off, cover your pan and remove from heat.  Set your timer for *14 minutes.
 Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice water.  Once your timer goes off again, transfer eggs to ice bath and let sit until completely cool.

 Peel and have your way with them.
Enjoy your green-less yolks!  Thank you Martha!

*The original tip says 13 minutes but I found that they weren't quite done enough for me so I started doing 14 minutes and that has been perfect in our house.  You might have to find that sweet spot for you between 13-15 minutes.

Starting the eggs in cold water and allowing them too cool completely in the ice bath makes it easier to peel the eggs.  For more tips on peeling, you can read HERE.  If your eggs are really fresh, you might want to add 1 tsp of baking soda to your water to help them peel easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover