Friday, May 11, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Waffles with Caramel Apple Syrup

As you know I have been on a waffle kick lately.  As well as craving caramel apple everything.  Isn't that supposed to be a fall-only craving?  Who knows.  These waffles are delicious by themselves.  I might have eaten one without anything on it while I was cooking the rest.  Maybe.  
If you ask me, these would be perfect for Mother's day if you are still looking for breakfast ideas.  I will also include a few more of my recommendations at the end of the post.  If you'll notice, there is also a new way to print recipes using the button at the bottom of each post.  Let me know what you think of the new way, it's easier for me and it allows you to print with or without photos.

Cinnamon Sugar Waffles with Caramel Apple Syrup
ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, seperated
2 cups buttermilk (I used sour milk, 2 T vinegar and fill to 2 cups with milk, let sit 5-10 minutes)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla

For the topping:
3 T sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

For the Syrup:
2 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 T light corn syrup
whipped cream for topping

Directions
For the syrup:  In a saucepan combine, apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter and corn syrup.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

For waffles:  Preheat waffle iron.  Combine flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form but eggs are still wet looking.  Combine buttermilk (or sour milk), melted butter and vanilla.  Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients until just combined and fold in egg whites.  
In a small bowl, mix 3 T sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  To cook, spray waffle iron and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp cinnamon/sugar mixture.  
Add 3/4 cup (or whatever your instruction manual states) waffle batter and then sprinkle batter with another 1/2 tsp cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Bake for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes depending on your waffle iron (see your instruction manual)  Be careful because the sugar burns if left unattended for too long.  I cooked mine for about 2 1/2 minutes and they were perfect.  
Serve waffles immediately with syrup (I put these apples on here and decided they kind of look like a rose.)
and whipped cream.  

 Makes about 6 waffles with 3/4 cup of batter each.


And don't forget to burn the last waffle.  I can't seem to make waffles without cooking the last one to oblivion. YUM!
Source: Waffles-The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook Syrup-Amanda Original






If this really isn't your style for Mother's day, here are a few more ideas:
Cinnamon Rolls- Anyone would be excited, especially mom!
My favorite quiche, Sausage and Mushroom Quiche, or a mini version of quiche
Sour Cream Muffins- So easy and so delicious!
Crepes with Strawberries, Nutella and cream cheese-We all love these.



Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! 
P.S.  What level of bribery is considered okay when trying to get my children to tell me what I got for Mother's Day?  Can I punish them for not telling me?  I HATE WAITING!!!

6 comments:

  1. I like your apple flower! These look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making my life really hard, I dont have a waffle maker so stop posting about waffles, they look too delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound amazing. I would eat breakfast all the time if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Balvinder, Yes, she does. Here is a link for the post with a link to her recipe. They were really great and I included the calorie info so you would know exactly how healthy they are. Thanks for stopping by.
      http://girlplusfood.blogspot.com/2012/03/rachels-healthy-and-delicious-waffles.html

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover