Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Table Talk: Southwestern Black Bean Salad

 It's my week to host and when I chose this recipe, I wanted to pick something easy.  I haven't really been feeling like spending a ton of time in the kitchen lately.  I think it's because I'm pregnant (with someone else's baby) and nothing really sounds that great.  Then, late last week, we got some devastating news.  My little baby nephew had passed away in his sleep.  It was the most heart-breaking experience but at the same time, there was such an out-pouring of love for my brother and his family, it was lovely to see.  Our weekend was spent crying and driving and then more crying and driving and I don't know that we'll recover anytime soon.  This recipe ended up being about all a person can handle after something like that.  I knew it would be easy and once I got in the kitchen to make it, I found my kitchen to be what it always is-therapeutic.  I know some people won't understand but sometimes I think cooking keeps me sane.  Once I got in there I decided to bake some bread because fresh baked bread makes everything seem a little better.  And also because I knew Calvin wouldn't be too savvy on the dinner plans but he always likes bread. :)


This recipe is full of things I love and that was another reason I picked it.  I got to use some of the tomatoes from our garden and I always love an excuse to use fresh corn.  It all came together pretty easily and we will make it again.  It was really good with some chips (which defeats the 'healthy' aspect of it, but whatevs) and it was also really good as a salad.  I can see myself eating this on all kinds of different things.  Like a quesadilla with some sour cream and this stuff on top sound delicious.  I'll get there.

Southwestern Black Bean Salad
2 T olive oil
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed (I cooked my own beans and used about 1.5 cups)
1 tomato, cored and chopped 
3 T minced fresh cilantro
2 scallions, sliced thin
3 T fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 1/2 tsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/2 tsp honey
salt pepper
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Heat 1 T of oil in medium skilled over med-high heat until oil is shimmering.  Add corn and cook 6-8 minutes, until golden brown.  Transfer to a bowl and mix in beans, tomato and cilantro.

In a separate bowl, whisk the scallions, lime juice, chipotle chiles, honey, remaining T of oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper together.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.

Gently fold in the avocado and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

 We added some lettuce, homemade ranch (kind of like the one here) and some chips for crunch.  I find it's better for me to crumble some chips on top and then eat it rather than scooping with chips.  When I crumble over the top, I only eat 3-4 chips and who knows how many I eat scooping. :)  If you like black beans and corn, you need to give this a try.  It's a keeper.

Serves 7

3 comments:

  1. Your salad is very pretty. I think if I left everything out but the lime juice, I just might like it :)

    Salad aside, I'm fascinated that you're being a surrogate! Mum's been the word on that one! A good friend of mine was blessed with her twins through surrogacy, so it's a topic near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting this week even after everything that has happened. My heart still breaks for Jen and her family. Now I have to ask who are you being a surrogate for? I hate beaning pregnant and would really have to love that person to do that. Good luck with the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one gets the "Tyler Stamp of Approval".

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover