Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chicken, Mango, Avocado and Cilantro Pesto Panini

Say that three times fast!  (Actually I just did it, and it's not too bad)

I recently received a new panini maker and a cookbook.  Ever since I have been eyeing this recipe.  I have a love for mango and pesto and everything that has to do with this sandwich, really.  I had never made pesto with cilantro before but was completely confident in my premature love of it.  And I was right to love it even before making it.  
I probably could have just eaten it alone, and I might have had a spoonful or so before spreading onto sandwiches.  I made some cuban rolls for these sandwiches (because that's what the recipe calls for) but I wasn't entirely happy with how they turned out.  I have made them twice now and didn't love them either time.  So I can't recommend a great cuban roll recipe today.  You could buy some hoagies or next time, I think I will just use one of my french bread recipes {HERE, HERE} and make some hoagie shaped rolls.  Even with the rolls being less than perfect, these sandwiches still were utterly delicious!  If you don't have a panini maker, you could just grill them with a grill pan, or just cook in a regular frying pan, like a cheese sandwich.  Either way, you've gotta try them. :)

Chicken, Mango and Cilantro Pesto Panini (I just did it again)
Adapted from: Panini  

CILANTRO PESTO
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
2-3 green onions, roughly chopped
2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil (I used about 1/3)
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
2 tsp fresh lime juice
jalepeno, optional (I, of course, didn't use it)

Toast pine nuts in a skillet over med-low heat.  Cook, stirring until lightly toasted, 3-5 minutes.  Watch closely, they can burn quickly.  Transfer to a plate to cool.  In a food processor, combine pine nuts, cilantro leaves, green onion, garlic, salt and jalapeno (if using).  Process to a coarse puree.  With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil and process to smooth puree.  Add cheese and lime juice and pulse to blend.


CHICKEN
5-6 chicken tenderloins, grilled and shredded
2 T mayonnaise
2 tsp caribbean jerk sauce (optional)

Mix all together in a bowl.


ROLLS
4 hoagies, split
1 T olive oil
1/4 tsp allspice

Mix allspice and olive oil.  Brush outsides of rolls with mixture and then flip to fill inside.

ASSEMBLY
Chicken
Pesto
Rolls
1 mango, sliced
about 8 slices red onion
1 avocado, sliced
1 tomato, sliced

Spread pesto over both sides of roll, add remaining ingredients and close sandwich.  Grill until chicken and mango are warm, or until panini maker indicates done.  Serves 4










7 comments:

  1. Amanda, you are amazing. I'm sure your family just loves the delicious foods you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every single item on this recipe, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this panini looks delicious, although I'm not a huge fan of raw onions. I'll substitute in caramelized onions, and it's perfect! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The combination of these ingredients make for one delightful sandwich. Will be printing this one! Thanks!

    ~Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious! I love chicken and mango together.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover