Friday, March 23, 2012

Coconut Lime Cupcakes (with Cream Cheese Frosting)

Happy Spring!  Okay, so I am a little late since the first day of spring was a couple days ago.  But I had every intention of not being late.  Does that make anyone feel better?   I have had cupcakes in my head for a while now, which is abnormal for me.  I know that they are a big deal, but I don't really make a lot of cupcakes.  Even though, I am pretty sure, Martha would hate me if she knew me, I can safely say she knows how to make a cupcake.  
I decided I wanted a coconut and lime cupcake and it was a good idea, it just wasn't a cupcake that Martha had online.  She does have this coconut cupcake recipe on her site that I adapted to be limey.  And I have fallen in love.  I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would have because I thought it might take a couple tries to get them how I wanted them.  It didn't.  If I would have taken photos of everything, you can bet it would have taken me 80 tries to get edible cupcakes.  That's just how I roll.

Coconut-Lime Cupcakes with Coconut Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1/2 cup + 2 T butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 T lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup coconut milk
4 egg whites with 2 T sugar
For the Frosting:
6 oz cream cheese (cold)
1 T lime juice
3 T butter
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

For the CUPCAKES:  Preheat oven to 350.  In mixer add egg whites and beat until foamy.  Add 2 T of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.  Remove from bowl and set aside.  In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients with coconut and set aside.  In mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes)  Add vanilla, coconut extract, lime juice and lime zest and combine.  Alternating with coconut milk and dry ingredients, add in increments.  About 1/3 of the dry and then about 1/3 of the coconut milk and continue until all combined.  Fold in egg whites 1/3 at a time.  Line or grease muffin tins and fill (about 1/4 cup in each one) to the top of the tin.  
 
Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  
Cool completely.

For the FROSTING:  With paddle attachment beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.  (2-3 minutes)  Add lime juice and extract and combine.  Add about 1/3 of the powdered sugar and mix to combine.  Continue adding powdered sugar until frosting is desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes.  Garnish with coconut and pieces of lime, if desired.  Makes 12 cupcakes.

I was trying to convey how moist they were.  I really don't think the photos do them justice.

Source:  Cupcakes-Adapted from:  MarthaStewart.com, Frosting-Amanda Original


Printer friendly version



7 comments:

  1. These sound and look delicious. Your frosting looks so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be sooooo good!! i need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look too delicious - I love their flavours and presentation :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Colossal Caramel Peanut Monster Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut lime cupcakes sound awesome! Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, my cupcakes did not turn out well. I'm thinking I didn't do an adequate job folding in egg whites because half of the cupcakes deflated. So disappointed:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, I hate when that happens. Mine came out of the oven more dome like but after cooling were more flat on the top. They were still very light, moist and airy. They don't raise a whole lot during baking, but I guess maybe you mean more deflated than that? And since it was only half of them, I am not sure what that could be, maybe you are right about the egg whites.

      Delete
    2. Oh and it might also be helpful to watch Martha's video, there is a link above and I will include it here. The only things I changed were to add lime and coconut extract and half the recipe.
      http://www.marthastewart.com/246036/coconut-cupcakes

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover