Monday, November 14, 2011

Vanilla Ice Cream (no cooking required)

I know I am not the only one who eats ice cream all year round.  Stop judging!  ;)

I haven't made a lot of ice cream in the past couple years.  It wasn't really conducive with Calvin's gluten/dairy free diet and my ice cream maker is one of the appliances that I have been separated from for a while.  After this ice cream though, I want to do nothing but make ice cream from now on.  It was super easy to make, only a few ingredients that I happen to already have in my house today and I just couldn't pass it up.  The kids had theirs with brownies and Tyler and I put frozen raspberries on top of ours and oh. my. goodness.  I will be making this again.  That's after I eat this whole batch by myself, anyway.

I wish I had some super secret Milky Way recipes to share with everyone (sorry if I got your hopes up).   But I think those might have died with my mom and my grandpa.  Just know that I grew up eating and making that ice cream and I thought this ice cream was delicious.  If you have an ice cream maker, you should definitely give it a try.  It would probably also be soooo good with some fresh strawberries.  I will try that tomorrow.  We all know how much I like fresh strawberries and ice cream.

No Cook Vanilla Ice Cream
From the book:  Old-Fashioned Homemade Ice Cream: With 58 Original Recipes, adapted slightly
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 T vanilla
dash of salt




In a bowl, mix all ingredients well.  Add to bowl of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions.  Usually after freezing you need to place in freezer for a couple hours to firm up.  Makes about 1 half gallon.  You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for about 2 weeks.  (It will never last that long around here.)

1 comment:

  1. I just have to clarify-- you grew up eating and BAGGING that ice cream, right?? It had to be said. :) Looks SO yummy I can't wait to try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover