Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sourdough Waffles


These waffles are delicious and completely worth making a sourdough starter just for this purpose.    They are crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside with that sourdough tang and cancer curing capabilities.  If you don't like sourdough things, maybe you should steer clear of this deliciousness.  If you do like them though, you have to make these.  
We had them with strawberry syrup, buttermilk syrup and whipped cream.  I can't imagine anything better.  They do require an overnight rest.  Which could be a good or bad thing.  Sometimes I like not having as much to do in the morning when I am still trying to remember who I am and what day it is.  But I also can't always rely on myself to plan a night in advance.   It could go either way.  

I haven't tried this recipe as pancake batter, but if you'd rather have pancakes than waffles, I am sure it would be great.  Since I have been trying to put EVERYTHING into my waffle maker lately, I made waffles.

Sourdough Waffles
Overnight starter (I prefer that to the word "sponge")
2 cups flour
2 T sugar (I might increase this next time, but it was good like this as well)
2 cups buttermilk (I used sour milk, 2 T vinegar and then filled measuring cup to 2 cups and waited 5-10 minutes)
1 cup Sourdough Starter (Don't forget to "feed" your starter after you remove this portion.  Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water and let sit at room temperature for 12 hours before returning to fridge)

Combine all overnight started ingredients in a bowl and cover with a towel.  Let sit overnight or 12 hours at room temperature.

In the morning:
2 eggs
2 T melted butter or canola oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

In a large measuring cup, combine eggs, oil or butter, salt and baking soda.  Stir into overnight starter.  Mixture will start to bubble (this is good).

Following the directions for your waffle maker, add necessary amount of batter, for me this is about 3/4 of a cup and 3 minutes for each waffle.  yields 6 waffles based on 3/4 cup of batter per waffle.



Printer friendly version
Source:  King Arthur Flour


I felt like I should start with a KAF recipe since I used their starter recipe but I also want to expand my horizons so I ordered 2 sourdough cookbooks yesterday and can't wait to try them!  I will let you know how it goes. :)

You can find the strawberry syrup recipe in this post.  And the recipe for buttermilk syrup in this post.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh, these sound different and delicious for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfect... I really need to try the sourdough!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover