Friday, April 27, 2012

Cheesy Spanish Rice and Chicken

I had a hankering for Spanish Rice the other day.  Put that together with the fact that I've felt like I've been running for my life lately but not knowing where I'm going and this is what you get.  I looked up a recipe for Spanish Rice and started planning my meal.  The thought of cleaning more than one pan seemed like just too much for the day and I decided to combine the meal into one pot.  Have I mentioned I hate dishes?
I hate them but most days I can talk myself into getting over it.  Some days I really can't.  It was one of those days.  Much like the Chicken and Broccoli recipe I posted a while ago, this is super easy and homey and have I mentioned the one pot?  It's worth mentioning twice or three times though.  And of course, if I am throwing things in a pot, I might as well throw some corn and black beans in there.  There were in my freezer just begging to be eaten.  And I seem to throw them in everything lately.  If I had some sour cream and avocados they, most likely, would have been involved too.  It was delicious as is though.

Cheesy Spanish Rice and Chicken
2 T olive oil
1/2 med onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
3 cups chicken broth**
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice*
1 14 oz can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained (or you can use regular diced, canned tomatoes and add oregano and basil)
5-6 chicken tenderloins or 3 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup black beans or 1 14 oz can drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
3 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
2-3 green onions


In a 5 quart pot, heat oil over med-high heat, add onion and cook about 5 minutes, add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.  Add chicken broth, salt, tomatoes, chicken and rice.  Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until chicken is done and rice is almost tender.  Remove chicken, add corn and black beans to pot and cover and continue to cook.  Shred chicken and return to pot.  Once rice is tender, add cheese and stir, remove from heat and cover until cheese is melted.  Garnish with green onions if desired.  Serves 6-8
 *Check the rice to water ratio on your rice and adjust the ingredients accordingly.  This recipe is based on a 2:1 water to rice ratio.
**You can substitute chicken bullion (1 T) and water (3 cups) for the chicken broth and omit the salt.


Printer friendly recipe
Source:  Adapted from Simply Recipes



4 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum. I would totally eat something like this right up. Paul, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same over here, while this is my kind of comfort food, Tyler is a good sport. He liked this, just not as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  2. D'oh! I just made chicken fajitas for dinner tonight. I'll have to try this chicken and rice dish tomorrow because it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda! I'm going to make this tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover