Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mexican Lasagna


If you haven't noticed, I will eat just about anything with black beans and corn.  And most of the time, I end up loving it.  Funny for a girl who doesn't think she likes Mexican food, huh?  So when I saw this on Annie's blog last week, I knew I wanted to try it and I almost had everything to make it.  This was delicious and fairly healthy.  
I had big plans to use some brown rice lasagna noodles, but my grocery store didn't carry my favorite brand (Tinkyada) and I didn't dare buy anything else (I have had some rice pastas that were pretty gag-worthy).  So I just used the regular thing I always do which was kinda nice because I'm not sure they have no-boil brown rice noodles, I would've had to cook them!  I don't think it makes a calorie difference, just a bit better for you and I thought in a dish like this, it would still taste great.  Next time.  And of course I had to add some sour cream (it was light, gimme a break!) and guacamole.  Because it's not really Mexican without sour cream and guacamole is it?

This comes together pretty easily because you don't really have to cook anything before hand.  Unless you want to cook your beans so they will be less sodium-soaked.  I have been trying to do that instead of buying the cans since it's cheaper and better for you.  I cook the whole bag and use what I need and then freeze the rest in 1 1/2 cup increments (since that's equivalent to a can).  They are pretty easy to make, just follow the directions on the bag.  I used the quick soak method because I didn't have all night!  I have also cooked them in the slow cooker which is nice if you need to leave them unattended.  

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
3 T chopped red onion (or 4-5 chopped green onions)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 28 oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes (I found them by the organic canned foods or you could just use regular crushed)
9-12 no boil lasagna noodles
8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese
Hot sauce, optional

Instructions:  Heat oven to 400.  Spray a 8.5 x 11 baking pan (the original recipe calls for 9x9 so that would probably work too).  In a large bowl combine beans, corn, onion, cilantro, oregano, garlic powder, salt and cumin and set aside.  
Spread a thin layer of tomatoes in the bottom of the pan (about 1/2 cup).  
Place lasagna noodles (3-4) on top of tomatoes breaking if necessary to fit.  
On the noodles spread 1 cup of bean mixture 
and 1/2 cup tomatoes. Drizzle lightly with hot sauce (if desired) and sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese. 
Start layers again; noodles, beans, tomatoes and cheese twice more (so you have done that a total of 3 times).  The last layer will be noodles, tomatoes and cheese.  
Spray aluminum foil (so the cheese doesn't stick) and cover tightly.  Bake 35-45 minutes, or until noodles are tender and cooked through (mine took more like 45-60 minutes, but you know your oven)  
Remove foil from the top and bake 5 minutes more, until cheese is melted (I skipped this step, the cheese was melted already).  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.  
Serves 6-8 *Next time I make this, I might leave 1 cup of the tomatoes out (1/2 cup for the bottom and 1/2 cup for the top) and stir the rest into the bean mixture so I don't have to try to spread tomatoes on the beans.  It seemed it would be easier to mix it together.

Source:  Adapted from A Couple Cooks via Annie's Eats.



Printer friendly version


And here's the calorie info (from Caloriecount.com) since I called it "healthy."  This is figured for 8 servings. (I think it's way easier to get 8 servings using the 8.5x11 inch pan rather than the 9x9)  To cut down calories, you could use less cheese or less noodles. (The sour cream and guacamole isn't included in this, sorry!)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 224 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
377
Calories from Fat
89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
9.9g
15%
Saturated Fat
5.6g
28%
Cholesterol
30mg
10%
Sodium
707mg
29%
Total Carbohydrates
55.4g
18%
Dietary Fiber
8.8g
35%
Sugars
8.1g
Protein
20.1g
Vitamin A 18%Vitamin C 26%
Calcium 24%Iron 20%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points





3 comments:

  1. I think I love each and every ingredient in there, it looks amazing!! (even if you say you're not really into mexican food!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally gobble this up. I love black beans and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I would definitely eat an entire pan. I'll make sure to make it for friends.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover