Thursday, August 16, 2012

Salsa Chicken in the Crock pot (or slow cooker)

 Since our move started, I haven't really been feelin' it when it comes to cooking or menu planning. And that means that just about every night is like an episode of Chopped around here.  I rummage through the pantry and fridge to find anything that will go together and then I throw it all in a pan to make dinner.  Sometimes we end up with things we have eaten before and sometimes a whole new creation is born.  And sometimes we decide that we really need to go shopping because the creations are getting a bit out of hand.  


This is one of those things we have eaten before and we have eaten it A.LOT.  It's one of the first things I made after we moved in because it's super easy, goes in the crock pot and everyone loves it (and it's gluten free!).  You can dress it up to make it as fancy as you like (and more impressive) or you can just eat it with some cheese and call it good, whatever your mood dictates.  I love that it could be served to company or as a laid back meal for just your family.  I have made this with or without the cream cheese and we like it either way.  If we add the cream cheese, we don't worry about the sour cream to serve.  You can decided how you want to do it.  If I don't have cream cheese then I don't use it. :)

Salsa Chicken
Ingredients:
1 16oz jar Salsa (I like to use black bean and corn but whatever you like will work)
1 1/2 cup black beans (or 1 can drained and rinsed)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
7-8 chicken tenderloins or 3-4 chicken breasts
1 8 oz package cream cheese, cut into chunks (optional)

Optional toppings:
1 avocado sliced
1 small can sliced olives
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
Sour cream (if you made it without cream cheese)
Tortilla chips, to serve

Directions:
Add salsa, black beans, corn, chicken (I just throw it in frozen) and cream cheese (if adding cream cheese) to the crock pot.  Cook on Low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.  Remove chicken and shred.  Return to crock pot and stir all ingredients.  Serve with desired toppings and tortilla chips.  Serves 6-8
I could eat this a few times a week and be okay with it. :)

Source:  My friend Paige and I saw the cream cheese addition HERE.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks delicious! I'm drooling over the chunks of avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I can totally appreciate loving something and eating it over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe has been a crockpot staple in our house for a couple years now. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover