Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TWD: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets



I hope you guys had a great Presidents' day!  It was also my brother's birthday and the whole day, my kids were trying to get out of doing things since it was his birthday.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  I spent the day baking in celebration of some great men. :)

As you can see, our recipe this week was Chocolate TRUFFLE tartlets.  I took that to mean they would be really rich and delicious.  And I was right.


I didn't have tartlet tins and I debated whether or not to spend the extra money to get the little tins with a removable bottom or the cheaper one-piecers.  I wonder if I sometimes look insane at the store.  Are there other people who turn such a small decision into a life or death crisis?  After some deliberation, most of it in my head, I decided on the cheaper version since this would be the first time I would make tartlets and who knows how long it would be before the next time, right?  Well, after making these, I should have paid the extra 6 dollars and bought the 2-piecers.  (I know that's not a word, but it should be!)  These were delicious.  Probably not something I would make on a weekly basis, but I do think I should make them again sometime in the near future.  Maybe when we have friends over to help us eat them. 

The recipe called for biscotti.  I wasn't sure if there would be a good substitute for that so I stuck to the recipe.  Now that I have made it, I loved the biscotti, but I also think just some roasted almonds would take care of the crunch with a little less effort.  Especially since I made the biscotti, store bought would also be easier.  But I couldn't find it at the store!
 It was my first biscotti experience, but I think it went well??
The tart dough was supposed to be divided and then each piece rolled out.  It seemed like it would be easier to roll one big piece and cut out circles.  My tart tins were smaller than the recipe called for so I only needed 4 inch circles of dough to take care of the situation.



I didn't have bittersweet chocolate, so I used semi-sweet and everyone survived.
 There are 3 kinds of chocolate in these....How could they not be good?

 The book had quite an extensive plan to pair with the tart; having to do with a cookie and ice cream that you also make.  I decided to just go with raspberries since I had already made the biscotti and dinner and the tartlets.  (That was enough for one day.)
 I think I forget how much I love raspberries.  I am always too busy thinking about strawberries.  Raspberries are good.

I loved the shell on top and the soft center.  To be honest, I didn't even need the crust with the biscotti in the mixture.  But since it was there, I ate it.
Since I bought the one-piecers, we had to eat our tartlets out of the pan.  It was ghastly, really.  The things I do.

Well, I can check two things off my list that I had never made before today.  Yay!

If you would like to see what the other bakers are doing, you can check out the Tuesdays with Dorie site.

If you would like the recipe (trust me, it's a good idea), you can check out one of these blogs:
Spike Bakes, A Whisk and a Spoon, Good Eats and Sweet Treats, and Cookbookhabit





19 comments:

  1. Delicious! I also put the raspberries on top and it was the best decision ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't homemade biscotti fantastic? I made a batch for the first time about ten years ago and never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I think your biscotti came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to remove the tartlets after they cool, but before you garnish them. Just don't refrigerate them in the pan as the butter from the crust hardens and they'll stick in the pans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so cute!
    I took the plunge a couple of years ago for 2 piecers, I actually use them quite a bit, most of the pie or tart recipes in BFMHTY fit into 6 tins perfectly so good for individual portions or if you only want to do half of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool that you made your own biscotti for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delicious! Your raspberries look like little red bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't biscotti fun? I've actually made 6 batches since the original (2) I made for this recipe. Eaten out of the mold or not, your tartlets are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious! I really wish I'd thought to get some berries, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very lovely tarts! The raspberries on top look so perfect. BTW, I chuckled when you related your shopping story- I agonize over the same things & so often, we try the more frugal route & regret it later. Then again, it is always wonderful to use what you have on hand in the kitchen & improvise. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! I love the raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good idea with the raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty with the raspberries on top.
    I used single piece pans as well, but found that they worked very well. I love that you made your own biscotti :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda, I love your blog! And, your tarts are really beautiful. Chocolate and raspberry is just meant to go together, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. love that your biscotti and tarts worked out great! :) my first biscotti experience I think I shortchanged myself with the baking of them - they needed a bit more time in the oven to crisp.

    Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh those raspberries looks gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Raspberries! Love that idea...so yummy with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous presentation!

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful picture! Glad to be baking with you :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover