Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bake 52: Tunnel of Fudge Cake


This is my kind of thing.  I know I said yesterday that I thought twice about making that recipe, but I would never think twice about something like this.  Isn't she pretty?  What is it about a bundt cake that is so lovely?  Not to mention the chocolate brownie-like cake, drizzled with chocolate and a 'tunnel' of fudge running through the middle.  It's the stuff of heaven.  I tried to make it look angelic in the photos but now I can't decide if it's angelic or hellish.  (It's tempting me right now.  I think it knows my name.)


I knew it would be a serious temptation and I thought about trying to half the recipe.  Maybe bake it in a smaller bundt pan or a few of the mini-bundt pans, but I was afraid that would mess with the fudgey center and I did NOT want to mess that up.  I was having some anxiety knowing that I would eat the entire cake if given the chance so I texted Clare and told her to come over after work and pick up some cake.  It eased my conscience a trivial amount, I should have just pawned the whole thing off on someone to save myself.  

I usually try not to read the other baker's posts before I make mine but today I sneaked a peak at Janet's post.  She recommended skipping the nuts and using semi-sweet chocolate instead of bitter-sweet.  And I listened because I do whatever Janet tells me to.  It was one of the smartest things I have ever done, I think it would have been too much with the bittersweet in the cake and the glaze.  I might just have her make all my decision in the future.  I also added a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar to the glaze, I felt like it needed to be a bit sweeter.  I do think I baked the cake a bit too long, my tunnel could have been bigger but that's my only regret.  I ended up baking it for about 50 minutes and next time I would go with 40 or 45.  And there will be a next time.  Mark my words.
See my lame excuse for a tunnel?  It's more like a ribbon, or a line of fudge.  Next time the tunnel will be at least twice that big or maybe I will just eat the batter instead of baking it. ;)

If you have a love affair with chocolate, like I do, this recipe is for you!  You can get the recipe at Janet's blog, she was our hostess for the week.  Thanks for picking such a great recipe Janet!


6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I skipped the nuts too, not sure why a recipe like this would call for that and ruin it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family has me make all their decisions for them as well, so you are in pretty good company. :-) I'm glad you like the changes I suggested. I think the cooking time is really sensitive - too short and you'll have a structural failure/too long, no tunnel. I think next time I would just let my cake rest in the pan closer to 15 or 20 minutes to make sure the outside was really firm and that would give me a bit better chance of not having the inside leak out...

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover