Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


Have you heard the rumor?  It's an old one, you probably have.  The one about the lady who went to some Neiman Marcus Restaurant while shopping and got charged an insane amount of money for their cookie recipe, so she emailed it to everyone imaginable, in hopes to bring justice to her wrong doers.....  I got an email about 10 or more years ago that said something to that affect.  I believed the story, not that it mattered, and soon after made the cookies.  Why wouldn't I make them?  Double the chocolate and I am in.  They were delicious and so was the dough.  That's actually why I drug this recipe out of hiding. My mother in law was asking me about it the other day.  Remember those cookies you used to make with the grated up chocolate?  


When Tyler and I lived in our first apartment, I think we had this dough in the fridge at all times.  Oh, to be young and not have to worry about the consequences of cookie dough!  After her reminder, I went through my recipes and sure enough, I still had it.  That's a lot of moves and time for a little recipe to survive on it's little card.  Not that I would EVER throw away a recipe.  Especially one that is memorable 10 years later.  I know you have been in suspense this whole time, wondering if, in fact, Neiman Marcus is evil.  Today I found out that the rumor isn't true.  Can you believe that?  What I can't wrap my head around is why on Earth someone would send out mass emails to people with that story.  What would they have to gain from it?  I am not sure why they wasted their time in such a way but I will tell you I am glad they did.  These cookies are worth mass emails for sure, but I would have made them even without the fake rumor and loved them all the same. 

The extra chocolate makes them extra gooey and delicious.  I made them for our little New Year's Eve party and my kids were picking them up by the handfuls, they were quite a hit!  As I said, the dough keep well in the fridge or freezer.  I have had dough in the fridge since Saturday and made a few tonight and they were quite amazing.  Sometimes it's good for me to just bake a few cookies so I don't eat 3 dozen by myself.


Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 ½ cups oatmeal
4 oz milk 
chocolate bar (about 3 bars), grated (the recipe calls for Hershey's but I think it can be any you chose)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 375.  Measure oatmeal and blend in blender or food processor until fine powder.  
I didn't have quite enough milk chocolate so

I put some milk chocolate chips in with my oatmeal and processed it to complete the needed amount. I might do that instead of grating next time. It's kind of a pain.
In the bowl of your mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).  Add eggs one at a time and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and grated chocolate, mix until combined.  Add chocolate chips.  
Using about 1 ½ T of dough, roll into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.  
Bake for 7-9 minutes until lightly browned and cracked.  
Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet and transfer to cool surface.  
Makes approx 4 dozen cookies.



Printer friendly version


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover