Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Corn Tortillas

And there's a glimpse of tomorrow's post!  I forgot to get pictures of the tortillas once they were cooked but before I put anything on them!  I will leave you guessing. :)  I really don't care too much for corn tortillas, if I had my way, I would only eat flour but I think there are a few things that require corn and so I conform.  I have to say that these were the best corn tortillas I have ever had.  I still don't know if they beat flour in my book.  Maybe homemade corn against store bought (already cooked) flour tortillas, that might be a close race.  If there ever is a race, I will let you know.  That would be something to watch for sure. 


I got a Tortilla Press for Christmas!  (I know I have been saying I was going to do a post dedicated to some of my new cool things, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Maybe I will just feature one at a time.)  Using the press on the corn tortillas this week was successful.  Now I just need to make it so with the flour tortillas.  I tried right after Christmas and they were a little too thick.  I am going to try a different recipe or two for that and keep you posted.  

The corn tortillas were pretty easy and I think they would still be pretty easy even if you didn't have a tortilla press.  You might have to use a mat and a little of the corn flour to keep them from sticking, or just have a spatula ready to get them off the mat.  I used the recipe off of the bag of Instant Corn Masa Flour that I bought.  If you have never bought it before, I found it on the baking isle next to the other flours and cornmeal.  I used my food processor, but I will also include the by-hand directions from the bag even though I didn't use them.

Corn Flour Tortillas
2 cups Instant Corn Masa Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups water

In a food processor, combine flour and salt.  With machine running, add water.  If mixture is too dry to form into a ball, add more water a tablespoon at a time until mixture will form a ball.  I added about 2 extra tablespoons and this is what my mixture looked like when I thought it was ready:  It still looks slightly crumbly but when I squeezed some of it together it easily formed a ball.

By hand it says to combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes to form a soft dough.  Add water a tablespoon at a time if it feels too dry.

Divide dough into 16 balls.  It seemed like mine were about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons in size and I ended up with exactly 16.  (How ridiculously lucky is that?!)  While you are working, get a cloth wet and wring out excess water and cover dough with the damp cloth.

If you are using a tortilla press, line both sides with plastic wrap. And press.
My press seemed to press a little unevenly, they were thinner toward the handle so I would press then rotate the dough and then press again.
Preheat ungreased griddle or skillet to med-high heat.  Cook on both sides for 50 seconds each then transfer to a plate and cover with a cloth napkin to keep warm.  Or use your Tortilla Warmer, because I also got one of those for Christmas!  What more could a girl want, right?!!  It really worked well too.

Printer friendly version


4 comments:

  1. I just made flour tortillas last night for dinner. I definitely need one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The press isn't the compete answer I thought it would be, but it still might be a little better than rolling them out completely by hand. I need to figure out the flour tortillas in it.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try these - they look so good! (and gluten free - yeah!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had made these when Calvin was on his diet because they really are sooo good compared with the store bought. Much softer and deliciouser.

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover