Friday, January 13, 2012

Kettle Corn

I hope I am in time for your Friday day night movie party.  We have been making this for a couple months and I thought today might be a good day to share it.  It takes very little time to make, probably 5-10 minutes total.  And it's a pretty simple recipe, if you don't mind shaking your booty for a  few minutes.  I don't mind it.  I tell myself that I am burning off calories, you know, while preparing to eat more.  That's how I roll.  


I plugged it into caloriecount.com again because I am obsessed with it. I divided this recipe into 4 servings (which is about 4 cups of kettle corn each) and it's only 200 calories.  I can live with that.  I have been living with that just fine and I sleep pretty well at night, thank you very much.  

I adapted this from allrecipes.com to cut down on the oil and increase the sweetness and saltyness.  After making it for the first time you can decided if you want it more salty or not, but this is how I like it.  You don't need any fancy equipment, exceptt an 8 quart stock pot, preferably non-stick, and lid, preferably a glass one to see through (can I say preferably one more time, because I guess I can't get enough!). 

A lot of people were saying in the review that they think Orville Redenbacher is the best kind of popcorn.  Whatever you decided to buy, I have heard (or read, not sure) that keeping un-popped kernels in the freezer helps preserve them so they pop up better when used.  I think it works because I have had mine in the freezer for a few months and they still pop up pretty well. I am not as snobbish about the brand, but to each his own.

Kettle Corn
2 T canola oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup popcorn kernels

Add oil to pan along with 3 popcorn kernels.  
 Cover with your lid and
Heat over med-high heat until at least one of the kernels pop.
 Remove popped kernels and add remaining kernels, sugar and salt, give a stir and cover again with the lid.  (You want to be quick about this so your popcorn doesn't start popping everywhere before you have your lid on.)  Grab some pot holders and while you hold the lid on, start shaking.  Once it starts popping pretty good, lift pot off the burner a bit and keep shaking for a minute then lower it back to the burner once it slows.  Continue until popcorn reaches almost the top of your pot and popping slows.  (If you keep it on the heat too long, it will burn so be careful)  Immediately transfer to a cookie sheet, sheet of tinfoil or parchment paper to cool.   It will be pretty hot right out of the pan.  Be careful if you decide to pot some into your mouth!  I would know. :)

Have a great weekend!


Printer friendly version


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 51 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
206
Calories from Fat
72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
8.0g
12%
Saturated Fat
0.5g
3%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
291mg
12%
Total Carbohydrates
36.0g
12%
Dietary Fiber
4.0g
16%
Sugars
16.6g
Protein
2.7g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%Iron 7%
Nutrition Grade C-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points



5 comments:

  1. Amanda! I have tried similar recipes - I'm going to try this one tonight! We love kettle corn here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I have always loved it but for some reason just recently started making it instead of popping the bag and now I can't get enough! I hope you guys like the recipe!

      Delete
  2. We have made kettle korn for a while now but we put the kernels in with the oil, then when the first one pops we throw the sugar in :) Welllll, I tried it your way Friday and it was awesome!!! Todd even said this is 100% better this way! It's so good, funny how it makes such a huge difference. Although I might kinda curse you now because now I want it everyday. hehe We've had it Fri, Sat, and Sun and now it's Monday morning and I'm wondering if it's too early to make it now for lunch. ahahhaha I might really grow after this! :) But we love it, thanks alot! ANd we love your blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I am so glad I am not the only one who can't stop making it! I seriously made it twice the other day alone. Thanks for taking the time to comment! I hope you also find some other things you like. :)

      Delete
  3. Are you kidding me? I feel like this is some serious kitchen magic here. I thought you had to have some sort of fancy machine thing to do popcorn in anything other than a microwave. We are totally trying this. :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover