Monday, January 23, 2012

Homemade Oreos, Valentine's Style


I have a sickness.  I really do.  I know I do but I just can't seem to do anything about it.  I get things in my head and I just can't let it go until I get the outcome I want.  You would think I am talking about something important and you would be right.  I am talking about these Oreos.  (I might also have my priorities mixed up.)  I saw these
a couple months ago on Annie's blog and decided to try to make them about a couple weeks ago.  The first through third attempts weren't quite what I was looking for.  I know the store bought Oreos aren't exactly soft, but I expected my homemade version to be somewhat soft.  The first batch, the cookies were not only WAY too big but also looked weird after baking.  Then I saw one of the comments on Smitten Kitchen's blog about rolling them out before baking and then I decided that they had to be hearts!

Tonight when I was gearing up to make these, Tyler asked what I was making.  I replied, "You don't want to know."  When he realized what it was, he said, "You are making those Oreos AGAIN?"  Not that he was surprised.  I have an illness, I tell you!  When I got done making them, I was much happier with the look of them.  All that was left was the taste test.  I almost gave the cookie a double take because it was so good.  Tyler said it tasted like brownies and ice cream.  I guess it kinda does.  If you want them to taste exactly like the Oreos at the store, you should go buy a bag.  But you'll be missing out, I think these are better.  And I am pretty sure you can't find heart shaped Oreos at the store.  (At least I think you can't.)

I halved the recipe and it made about 14 cookies (28 if you count the top and bottom separately).

Homemade Oreos
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
10 T butter, room temperature
1 large egg
more sugar for rolling

For the Filling:
4 T butter
4 T shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Combine dry ingredients in food processor or bowl of mixer.  Pulse or process to combine.  Add butter and process until combined about 20-30 seconds.  Add eggs and process until mixture comes together and forms a ball about 30-40 seconds. 

For hearts, dust parchment paper and dough with sugar.  Roll 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes.    Line a cookie sheet with parchement paper and place dough 2 inches apart.  

For circles:  Drop by rounded teaspoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets, approximately 2 inches apart.
Bake at 350 for about 5-6 minutes.  (Longer if you make bigger cookies).  Remove cookies from the oven and use the same cookie cutter to cut again.  (You don't have to do this second cut if you aren't a Freak-Show like me.)  
For circles, use 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter on warm cookies to clean edges.  Let cookies cool completely.
Mix filling ingredients with mixer until combined, increase speed and mix for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy.
  Transfer to pastry bag or ziplock bag and cut a corner off, 
pipe filling onto a cookie
 and cover with another, press slightly to even and spread filling.
The more boring, circle cookies

The original recipe for this is from: Retro Desserts: Totally Hip, Updated Classic Desserts from the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s, but adapted by   Smitten Kitchen, and then adapted by me again.  If you are looking for a more crispy cookie, you might want to try the other adaptation. :)

Gluten Free?  Here's a link to a gluten free version.


Printer friendly version


Today is the last day to sign up for the GIVEAWAY!!!  If you haven't signed up yet, what are you waiting for??!!

Pin It


4 comments:

  1. Ummm...I can't tell you how excited I am about these. I love Oreos but I cannot for the life of e understand why they ruined a perfect cookie with greasy filling. I might just try these out with filling once, but more likely I can finally have untainted Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are as excited about them as I was. I want to hear all about it when you try them!

      Delete
  2. Seriously, Amanda? Why can't we still be neighbors? So unfair. I need about 14 of those right this minute! R they too hard for me to handle?

    You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how badly I wish we were still neighbors!!! They definitely aren't too hard for you to handle!

      Delete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover