Monday, February 27, 2012

Chicken with Broccoli and Rice


{photos updated 8/22/2013}
 I didn't intend to put this on the blog.  It's one of those recipes for a day when I don't feel like cooking.  Do you ever have those days?  Where you're inches from saying let's go get pizza or Chick-Fil-A?  (I love that place, judge if you must!)  And if I don't think of anything easy to make I might give into the craving.    I usually don't feel like doing a huge pile of dishes on those days either.  Not that I want to do dishes any other day.  But you get it, right?  I was having one of those days and threw this together.  It's so easy, few ingredients and only uses one pot.  Yay for not having tons of dishes!!!


On a side note, has anyone noticed my aversion to cutting up raw meat?  It's such a pain!  I really would rather cook it and then cut it.  And more often than not, when cooking with chicken, I throw the chicken in frozen, cook it and then cut it up.  Could I be anymore lazy?  It's hard to say....I could try.

Personally, I could live off this kind of thing, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.  Even when it's getting to be the end of the month and the grocery budget is looking pretty slim.  This makes a pretty decent amount and is great as leftovers.  If you are just cooking for 2 though, you might want to half the recipe.  You can substitute brown rice for the white if you are looking to be healthier.

Chicken with Rice and Broccoli
2 cups uncooked jasmine rice (I've also just used long grain)
4 cups chicken broth (I've also used 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup milk to make it creamier) 
7 chicken tenderloins (I use frozen, you could probably also use 3-4 chicken breasts)
14 oz bag frozen broccoli florets (or frozen broccoli of your choice)
3 oz cheddar cheese cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, optional
1 cup frozen, diced onion, optional


Add chicken broth (and milk), rice (and onion), chicken, and broccoli to the pan and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until chicken is done and rice is tender.  Remove chicken and shred (sometimes I just leave it in the pan and use a spatula to kind of chop it up.), stir in cheese (and cream cheese) and cover for 2-5 minutes until cheese is melted.  Stir again and serve.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 6-8

Printer friendly version
girl plus food original




3 comments:

  1. I have a lot of days like those so this recipe is perfect, quite easy, fast and looks great! I think you did great by sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quick recipe. Cheese,Chicken, and Rice. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, love me some Chick-fil-A! That restaurant finally came to Duke's campus by my junior year. Great "throwback" recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover