Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bake 52: Multigrain Bread

I was a little skeptical about this bread.  I have already found a healthy bread recipe that I love (thanks to Jenn) and I just wasn't sure this would be worth my time.  And it has white flour in it.  And isn't white flour essentially the devil (or my best friend, whatever you want to call it)?  But it is multigrain, which sounds like it should be good for you, right?  I put my skeptisism aside and got to work.  The bread is fairly easy to make if you can find the cereal the book suggests.  I am pretty sure that was more work for me than the whole rest of the process (Bob's Red Mill 7 grain hot cereal).  For some reason, I found just about everything but 7.  The store had 5, 8 and 10 grain hot cereals in that brand and I didn't see any other brands that resembled anything about grains.  I went with the 5 grain and it worked well.  I was worried about how chunky it was in the package and didn't know how the family would feel about having chunks in their bread.  We all loved it.  


I am making it again today and when I told Hadlee she said, "Oh good, thanks Mom."  I am not sure if I will keep the cereal on hand to make it often, I will probably stick to Jenn's recipe most of the time.  But I know I will be making this many times in the future when I do have what I need or remember to get it.  I did use active dry yeast (I added 1 T to the cereal mixture when it had cooled to about 100 degrees) because I have decided instant yeast hates me and I like to see the proofing before going through the whole process.  I left out the seeds because I felt like my cereal was chunky enough.  I might try it with the seeds sometime though just to say I did.

See what I mean about being chunky?  I don't think the 7 grain cereal is like that.
 before the rise.
 after the rise
 After baking.  The oats didn't stick all that well but I was okay with it.
 When I tasted it, I was pleasantly surprised, it was delicious!
 If you are looking for a great multigrain bread recipe, look no further, this is wonderful.  You can get the recipe at the blog of our host this week, Jen O.  Thanks for picking such a great recipe, we all loved it!


On a side note, I have been MIA this week but still in action.  I have some great recipes to share later this week, but first I have some cool new features coming to the blog!  

I can't wait to talk about it, I am way excited, I think you guys will love it!  Hopefully tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Your loaf looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! that bread looks perfect. I know when I make multi seed bread I have to press the seeds lightly in the dough only then they stick. I have to check the recipe at Jen's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya! So glad you liked it! I can see what you mean by chunky 5 grain hot cereal. I had the 5 grain in my hand at the store and was worried until, fortunately, I found the 7 which is much finer. It's good to know both work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! So smart to use the cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks perfect!! I think the oats look great on top, but mine didn't stick great either. I wonder why we were supposed to sprinkle with water? Do you think that keeps them from burning? I still haven't tried Jenn's recipe - I need to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, you are amazing! I have to try this! I may have to stop following your blog....I'm baking way too much for my own good. Haha. You know I can't tell you how many times I've made those chocolate chip rolo cookies...sans rolos of course, but not by my own choice. I wish we had gotten together when you lived out here. I would've loved to bake with you!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover