Monday, February 6, 2012

DIY: Mayonnaise

{Photos updated 4/25/2013}
There are a few reasons to make your own mayonnaise.  My main reason is usually that I need mayo to make something and I don't have any.  I usually have Miracle Whip on hand but sometimes that tangy zip gets in the way.  I barely use that enough to warrant keeping it around and I definitely don't use mayo enough to have it on hand all the time.  That's deep, right?  If I were cooler, my reasons might be that it's healthier, I know what's in it, I can put any kind of oil I want in it, it's fresh, I can add different combinations and make it just how I like it,.... but I am not that cool.  It's sad really.

If you have made mayonnaise before, you know, it's pretty easy to make.  Easier than running to the store to grab some!  If you have eggs and oil, a couple kitchen staples and 5 minutes, you are ready to make mayo.  This can be done in the blender or food processor.  My food processor bowl is a little large for a batch so I use my blender.  You need to have a place you can pour the oil in with the machine running.  I also have a recipe where you just use a whisk or your kitchen aid.  If you are interested in that, let me know.  

If you are worried about salmonella in eggs, you can use the pasteurized eggs in this (egg beaters), but I am pretty much a Daredevil about that.  This is a basic recipe, once you have made it, you can start adding your own flare.

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp mustard (Dijon, dry or regular)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup oil

Combine egg, egg yolk and mustard in food processor or blender. 
Process about 15 to 30 seconds until well combined.  Scrape down sides and add lemon juice (or vinegar) and salt.  Process for about 2 minutes in blender and about 15 seconds in food processor.  
With machine running, add oil in a light stream, slowly.  Once it starts to thicken, you can also thicken the stream of oil.  
Once all oil has been added scrape down sides and combine.  
You can add an extra 1/4 cup of oil if you want the mayo to be thicker.  I don't usually do that, but if you're using it in a recipe, it might be good to make it thicker.  You can always add a bit more if you like.
Serve immediately or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 days. 
Note:  My food processor has a 14 cup bowl and is too big for this to work properly.  I've made this in my blender and I also have this Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor that is my favorite thing to use.   The blender and the mini-prep work really well.  I started using the mini prep because I noticed the lid has a little cavity with 2 holes for the oil to slowly seep into the mixture.  See it?  I can add about 2 T of oil at a time and the holes control the stream!

It's perfect.  (And also great for making salad dressings!)  I only tell you this because I didn't notice right away!  I could have been using this the whole time (like, for years!) if I'd paid attention or read the manual for the appliance.  So check out your appliances, read the manuals and get to know them!  And go make some mayonnaise! 

Source:  Slightly adapted from The 1997 Joy of Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover