Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bake 52: Lattice-top Peach Pie

 This week, I stopped being a snob long enough to try a pie crust recipe from the book.  Every time we have made a pie for the group, I have always stuck with what I know.  I was starting to feel like a poor sport for not stepping out of my comfort zone and trying a new recipe.  I even did all the steps like I was supposed to.  I made the dough, the refrigerated it, then I froze it and then I froze some more of it....and I liked it.
 But the question is; is this pie crust better than the one I normally use?  Apparently butter is better than shortening? (Yes, that's a question)  But is 1 cup of butter better than 2/3 cup of shortening?  I really don't know.  The Betty Crocker recipe that I normally use is so easy that sometimes when I am making a pie, I don't even refrigerate the dough if I'm in a hurry.  This one seemed so temperamental.  I guess what I am saying is that I still love the recipe I have always used.  I like not having to freeze the dough before trying to shape it and the ease of it.  Having said that, if I were avoiding shortening at all costs, this recipe would be a go-to. It was flaky and buttery and delicious.

The pie was lovely.  I think I must have had some juicy peaches and could have benefited from an extra 1/2 T or so of cornstarch.  My filling was a little more runny than I would have liked, but it still tasted so good.  I don't really think of myself as the kind of person who likes pie, but throw a scoop of ice cream on some warm pie and mmmmm.  I just really don't know myself at all.
This was a great recipe and a great pick!  If you'd like the recipe you can find it on Talesha's blog HERE.  Thanks for a great pick Talesha!

4 comments:

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover