Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beef and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry

We have eaten this twice now.  The first time was a night that I was just in a hurry to feed everyone and myself before there was a giant meltdown at my house.  Probably by me.  Just one of those nights.  Of course, I didn't feel like taking pictures, I just wanted to feed everyone and put them all to bed.  I knew we would have it again but I had ideas on how to make it a little better.  This time, I felt like it was just how I would want it.  I am all about stir fry dishes lately.  Maybe it's because they are quick, but flavorful and healthy-ish.  {If we left out the rice I am sure it would be even healthier but I've heard we all need a vice. ;)}


We decided while we were eating it that this would also make a perfect beef and broccoli dish. Just substitute steamed broccoli for the bell peppers.

Beef and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry
Ingredients:
1 T canola oil
1 lb flank steak or think cut steak, cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow onion, cut into slices
4 green onions chopped, reserve some of the green parts for garnish
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 T rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 T sugar
1 tsp sweet red chili sauce
2 tsp *toasted sesame seeds, optional
2-3 cups cooked rice to serve

Directions:  {{Just a note:  This cooks super fast.  Sometimes even when the recipe calls for things to be already sliced or chopped, I still wait and do it while the cooking is happening.  This recipe is an exception for me.  It helps to have everything prepared before the cooking starts. (and it makes me feel like I am on a cooking show.  I cook while talking to a fake camera and holding my Mrs.-Butterworth's-Oscar-award in my hand.)}}
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar and chili sauce, set aside.   Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.  Add oil to pan and swirl to coat.  Once oil is smoking, add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.  Add bell peppers and white parts of green onions and cook for 2-3 more minutes until all vegetables are lightly browned.  Add beef and cook 2-3 minutes until done.  Remove beef and vegetables from skillet.  Add sauce mixture and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.  Add beef and vegetables back to pan and stir to coat with sauce.  Serve over rice, garnish with sesame seeds and green parts of green onions.  Serves 4-5.

Some tips:
I talked about this on Facebook the other day, but I know some aren't on Facebook.....If you like fluffy rice with your stir fry, like me, you can cook it like pasta.  Boil a bunch of salted water (probably 2-3 quarts), once the water is boiling, dump in some rice and cook until tender.  Drain and rinse.
I love rice all ways, but this is my favorite way to cook it for stir-fry!
 *If you don't have toasted sesame seeds, it's super easy to toast them yourself.  Heat a pan over med-high heat and add sesame seeds, stir and toast about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

Nutrition facts from caloriecount.com HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of beef and peppers in a stir-fry. Great use of red and yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe! I love how you combined the recipe and I also love how you did the dish based on the picture in your blog. I would like to create this later so that I can eat my delicious dinner.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover