Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TWD: Blueberry-Nectarine Pie with Crumble Topping

Do you ever put things away in the wrong place?  Like putting the orange juice in the cupboard, or your keys in the fridge or throwing something important in the garbage?  I must have have one of those days the other day because I KNEW I bought brown sugar at the store!  And when I set out to make my pie today I glanced at the blogs of our hosts for the week.  This post captivated my attention and since I just made a peach pie last week, I welcomed the idea for more of a crumble.  


Knowing I bought brown sugar, I knew I had all the ingredients necessary for the crumble even though I hadn't planned that when I did my shopping.  20 minutes of looking and frustration later, I couldn't find my brown sugar.  I even resorted to asking everyone else in the house pretending that maybe someone helped me put some groceries away.  Of course, they all looked at me like they weren't totally sure what brown sugar was in the first place.  I gave up and found some dark brown sugar in the back of the pantry that was almost as hard as a rock.  I guess I needed to use it anyway.  

After my crumbles were out of the oven and cooling, I located the brown sugar in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator.  Where else would it be?  And of course I would find it after I no longer had a need for it.  Luckily, I can always find ways to use brown sugar, so I didn't lose anything there (except a few brain cells apparently).  

I was pleasantly surprised by this dessert.  I used my regular pie crust. (I stepped out of the box last week and can only handle so much, ya know?)  I used the single crust version and divided it between the four ramekins.  I followed the directions for the fruit except I kind of halved the fruit and left the sugar and flour the same (on accident, but it worked out well).  I threw a few things together in the chopper for the crumble,  (Maybe like 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup oatmeal and 1/2 tsp baking soda) and then spread it between the four desserts.  I baked it at 400 for about 20-30 minutes and had to serve it with ice cream.  Is there any other way?  I don't think there is.
If you'd like the recipe, you can find it at one or both of these blogs
or 

You can also see what the other TWD bakers did this week by going HERE.

9 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic and tasty looking rendition! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally lose stuff all the time. Like the bottle of avocado oil I KNEW I had bought & couldn't find...It finally showed up when I bought a replacement bottle. Ugh.
    Love the crumble rendition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't crumble topping make everything better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at that crumble.. and then those juices flowing over and that little scoop of ice-cream... beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you did here...looks wonderful! I had a spoon somewhere...found it...now to reach out and have a taste! Delish! ;D

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My partner and I could have sworn we bought some Parmesan cheese last week, but can't find it anywhere. Maybe we should stop looking in the fridge and search the rest of our place! Love crumble toppings and I like your idea of individual servings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy looking! I hate when I misplace stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooow!
    This is sooo ...crumbly! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm....I love your mini pies with their streusel topping! And I'm glad the only one who doesn't misplace stuff...I found a gallon of milk in my baking pantry last month...yikes.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover