Friday, July 20, 2012

Berry Cheesecake Squares

I've talked about being obsessed with fruit and cream desserts lately.  I wonder if you guys knew that I was this serious about it. :)  When we were looking for baking ideas for the 4th of July, one of my friends posted a link to this on Facebook and it was love at first sight.  

I ended up making it the day after the 4th (which would be the 5th, I could have just said that) and the pastry stars were replaced by hearts.  I am just now getting to blogging about it, somewhere along the line I have lagged behind with my blogging!  (I went on a bit of a reading spree and other parts of life have taken the back burner.  Like cleaning, being a mom, showering, getting dressed.  You know, all those less important things.)  The original recipe calls for store bought, refrigerated pie dough but I just used the crust recipe that I usually do.  I also halved the recipe so I will share that version here.  These are pretty easy and would be fun to make with your kids or just by yourself.

Berry Cheesecake Squares
1 recipe single crust pie crust, or whatever pie crust you choose
1 egg yolk
1 T milk
2 tsp sugar
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup whipped cream or whipped topping (you can make your own or buy it)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
fruit of your choice, I used:
4 strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries 
1/2 cup raspberries

Preheat oven to 450.  Prepare the pie dough, after refrigerating for 20-30 minutes, roll out into a rectangle about 9x12".  
Cut 4 squares (about 4 1/2", I used a food storage container that was 4 1/2 inches as a cookie cutter) and 4 shapes of your choice.  If necessary, re-roll extra pieces and cut.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Fold in sides of the squares about 1/4-1/2 inch.  
Combine egg yolk and milk and brush on all squares and pastry pieces.  Sprinkle all with sugar.  Bake 6-8 minutes or until light golden brown.  Cool completely, about 10 minutes.  Whip cream cheese and sugar until smooth, add lemon zest and fold in whipped cream.  Top each square with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture and fruit.  Add pastry shape if desired. 

This is what it looks like in front of a pool:
Makes 4 squares.
Source:  Adapted from Betty Crocker.com

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, what tasty and easy little bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've really been working for what I see in the blog whereas i... well, not so much! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! And don't worry, I think getting behind is just a normal part of blogging.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover