Friday, July 27, 2012

Grilled Zucchini Caprese Sandwiches with Avocado

We have made these twice now and I know we will be making them again.  I wish I had a garden right now, but I don't.  If I did, there would be zucchini and tomatoes (and probably some basil somewhere!) in my backyard right now.  Maybe next year.  For now, I will just pretend I got these veggies from somewhere other than the grocery store.  Consider yourself lucky if you do have fresh vegetables in your yard.  You are cooler than me and I am completely jealous.  


I am in love with these sandwiches.  This last time we at them, I made some ciabatta bread, used half a loaf, made one big sandwich and then cut it into 4 pieces to serve.  The previous time, I used our naan from TWD.  Both times they were delicious.  Next time I might try a bread with a softer crust.  The crust on both of them was chewy enough that taking a bite of the sandwich kind of made everything inside want to fall out the bottom.  Not that I mind a messy sandwich because I don't but that was my only complaint.  We have also used fresh and regular mozzarella with great results.

Grilled Zucchini Caprese Sandwiches with Avocado
Ingredients:
2 Medium zucchini, sliced length wise
2 T olive oil
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt 
pepper
4 ciabatta rolls, or half a loaf (or whatever bread you want)
8 large fresh basil leaves
2 tomatoes, sliced
6 oz mozzarella, sliced
1 avocado, pitted and sliced

Directions:
Turn oven on to broil.  Heat a grill pan or a grill over med heat, brush zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder (you can use 1 tsp fresh garlic here, just be careful not to brown the garlic too much when grilling or it will be bitter, the powder makes it so you don't have to worry about that).  Grill zucchini 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.  Transfer zucchini to a pan and toss with balsamic vinegar.  Season zucchini and tomato with salt and pepper.  Open rolls or bread and brush with olive oil and cover with mozzarella.  Broil until cheese is melted 1-2 minutes.  Layer zucchini, 
tomatoes, 
avocado and basil on sandwiches.  You can leave your basil whole, but I chose to chiffinade mine. Serves 4.

This was when we made it with naan.  I really love the onion flavor of the naan with the sandwich.
Have a great Friday!

Source:  Adapted from Cooking Light

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I made similar sandwiches with the TwD semolina bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad takes care of the garden and we have some vegetables which is great!! This looks amazing too!!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover