Friday, October 21, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup



I have been wanting to make a potato soup for a couple weeks.  It's been rolling around in my mind and today when I was at the grocery store, they had 10 lb bags of potatoes on sale.  I think it was a sign that tonight was the night.  I went into my kitchen, annoyed by the thought of trying to find a recipe, and decided to just go for it.  I wanted a potato soup that was good and cheesy and comforting.  Some days, when I go into my kitchen without a plan, it can end up being disastrous, but today, luckily, was not one of those days. I asked Tyler after we ate if he thought the soup was blog-worthy and he didn't hesitate at all before saying, "Yes!"  (I thought it was, I just wanted a second opinion.)

 We had some bread with it that I am going to post tomorrow because it also turned out really well.  Does it seem like some days go really well in the kitchen and some days it's almost better to give up and order pizza?  It does for me.   I am excited to add this to our favorite recipes and glad that I have been blogging.  Otherwise I wouldn't have kept track of any measurements and would have never been able to duplicate it again.  It has all the ingredients of a loaded baked potato.  Well, except the corn and I didn't have any sour cream or I might have used that, but buttermilk seemed to work well and I had some left over from our Cafe Rio Dressing.  It might also be delicious with some chives on top.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Ingredients:
2 T butter
1/2 med onion, chopped
3 med potatoes, diced
1  1/2 cups water
1 T chicken bullion powder (I have really been liking the kind on the international isle, Knorr)
3 T white cooking wine (might be optional)
1  1/2 cups frozen corn
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 oz cream cheese (you could probably just add extra shredded cheese instead, if you wanted)
1/2 cup shredded cheese, plus extra for garnish
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped.

Directions:
In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until onion is translucent, add water, bullion, wine, potatoes and corn.  Cover and simmer over med heat until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.  Add milk, buttermilk, cream cheese, shredded cheese, cook until heated through and cheese is melted, do not boil.  To serve:  Top with bacon and shredded cheese.  Serves 6

2 comments:

  1. yummmm.... bacon! I will be trying this for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Ive looked for this recipe and couldnt find it! I was soooo happy I found it a few days ago hidden in this post! Hehe this is the best soup ever!! Not even kidding-i could eat it every day. Thanks for this! Im so happy. Hehe im special I know.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover