Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes and Buttermilk Syrup


I have been out of pumpkin and waiting, not so patiently, to go grocery shopping.   I want to make so many pumpkin things I can't think straight.  Saturday, min dreams came true and I finally got some pumpkin!!!  And I decided I am going to make it a goal to add pumpkin to something each day.  I started off this morning doing just that with our regular pancake recipe.  We changed it a bit to accommodate the pumpkin and it was quite a hit.  Such a hit, in fact, that I tried for a second pumpkin experiment later today (just in case I was on a roll).
  The second one was not so good.  At least I was 1 for 2 today, right?  I thought I would share the pancakes since we liked them so much.  The pancakes themselves really aren't that sweet but I don't think they need to be with the syrup.  Next time, I might try to substitute brown sugar for the white in the syrup to see if it adds a bit of a caramel quality.  I think the only thing I like better than pumpkin and chocolate is pumpkin and caramel.  Hopefully my future experiments will go as well as this one did and I will have many more delicious pumpkin things to share.

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 T oil
1 egg
1/8-1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 T sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg


For the Buttermilk Syrup:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1  tsp vanilla

Directions: 
Combine dry ingredients, in seperate bowl, combine wet ingredients except water, mix wet and dry until combined.  I don't like mine quite so thick, so if the batter seems thick, add a little water at a time until it's how you like it.  Cook on skillet or pan over med to med-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side until done.

For the Syrup:
Heat butter, sugar, buttermilk, and soda until boiling, boil 1 minute.  Remove heat, add vanilla


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover