Monday, October 24, 2011

Fudge Covered Frozen Bananas

Okay, before you get all judgmental with the frozen bananas in the Fall, let me just tell you, it's still been 90 degrees here during the day!  I really keep thinking fall is on it's way.  I am really ready for sweaters and hot cocoa and soup (which we have been having anyway), but Mother Nature is not cooperating.  That being said, I would probably eat a frozen banana even if I was frozen.  I love them.  So even though it's fall, maybe there is someone else out there like me who might enjoy this post. (fingers crossed)
These are pretty easy to make and well worth the effort (in my opinion, anyway).  I say fudge covered frozen bananas because I really am not a huge fan of cold chocolate.  I don't like it when it flakes off the banana and sticks in my teeth.  I like it to still be soft and fudgey even though it's cold.  I also like the crunch of the nuts, but if you hate nuts or don't have any, these bananas are still pretty dang good just with the chocolate.  The white chocolate could also be optional, but the whole combo is delicious.  I didn't have any popsicle sticks so I used skewers.  I also like to cut the bananas in half so it's easier to dip them but you could use a whole banana if you wanted.  This recipe works with bananas in any about any stage of ripeness, however I think they are a little better when they are still a little green.

Fudge Covered Frozen Bananas
Ingredients:
2 bananas, cut in half
Sticks
2/3 cup almonds, chopped
Wax paper

For the Chocolate:
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2  1/2 T butter
4 T + 1 tsp milk

For the White Chocolate:
1/2 cut white chocolate
1 tsp milk

Directions:
push sticks into bananas, place on baking sheet or plate lined with wax paper and in freezer for 6 hours.  Before taking bananas out of the freezer, prepare all other ingredients.

For the Chocolate:  Heat ingredients over low heat in saucepan until smooth and warm, keep warm until ready to use

For the White Chocolate:  Heat  in microwave for 30 seconds at 70 percent power.  Mix until smooth.  Place in zip seal bag with a little hole cut in one corner.

To Dip bananas:
Place chocolate in a cup that is deep enough to fit banana but as skinny as possible.  Dip banana in cup and roll around to coat with chocolate. Roll in almonds and drizzle with white chocolate.  Return to freezer on wax paper for 10-20 minutes (or longer) before serving.

Letting these thaw out pretty much ruins them.  Once bananas have been frozen, they are pretty soggy when defrosted, so keep that in mind when working with them.  Only have them out long enough to dip them and right before you are ready to eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover
Pin It button on image hover